Sony MDR-XB50: All of your basses...all of them.
May 22, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #16 of 93
I'm glad you are liking the XB50s. I think I mentioned this in an earlier post, but they are very smooth. No harsh edges to the sound, and I agree the bass is not bloated.

The S1 are on for almost half price right now on their website, Narmoo.com (use the code headfi). I think I paid 44cad shipped...can't recall.

Dual driver, similar to the JVC HA-FXT90 in sound signature, but with a bit more bass and less harsh treble. The T90s were my favorite IEM....not so sure now :p They are both fighting for earspace.

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #17 of 93
Hey thx for referring me to this thread. I notice in the picture that the iem seem to have an air port on the top. Does this make the iem sound open? I like the semi open sound the xb700 has. Soundstage is so much better with open headphones.

Jun 6, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #18 of 93
  Hey thx for referring me to this thread. I notice in the picture that the iem seem to have an air port on the top. Does this make the iem sound open? I like the semi open sound the xb700 has. Soundstage is so much better with open headphones.

It does not unfortunately. That is just a port to allow the ballin' bass to take off :D The sound isn't more or less congested than the majority of IEMs, or at least those that I've tested.

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #19 of 93
These look amazing, thanks for the review it has made up my mind.

Are these ones from Ebay legit sources from HK?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281334863123

Or where would you recommend to purchase from? I'm based in the UK

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #21 of 93
I've owned these for roughly 15 minutes now, and I can already tell that these will be a decent set to hold me over until my next big IEM purchase (and a replacement for my recently deceased Yamaha EPH-100s). I'll just have to either buy foam tips or glue some bi-flanges to the base, because the stocks will not stay in place (ear moisture is a very real thing on a July afternoon in Phoenix, AZ). If anything, these sound like my old favorites, NuForce's NE-700X. Not bad at all for $55.

Update: So I cut off the tubes from the smallest tips and inserted just those, which then allowed me to stick on some Yamaha EPH-100 biflange tips (peeeerfect size, too. Just enough for it to take real effort to get them on). Given the funky shaping on these earbuds, they protrude quite a bit, which translates to more distance for the sound to travel, but I find it lessens the bass a bit, which eliminated the need for me to drop the bass on my Clip Zip by a couple decibels. All in all, these things are pretty darn good for their price.

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #22 of 93
has anyone tried the jvc ha fxd 60 or 70? If not has anyone heard how they sound. Theres a thread about them but i cant find the review within the thread.

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #23 of 93
Just bought this to replace my Sennheiser CX300 II which died after 3 years of use. As I was thinking of buying the same headphone, I decided to look for a more budget alternative. I was looking at the Sol Republic Jax; reviews say that they have a good sound but I was wary of its build.

I saw the XB50 in the store shelf, the box says "EXTRA BASS." I made a quick browsing of reviews on my phone, grabbed a box and went straight to the counter.

Played a few tracks (The Clash, Dream Theater, Cut Copy). Currently burning them in on my work laptop for around 5 hours now. 

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #24 of 93
Just bought this to replace my Sennheiser CX300 II which died after 3 years of use. As I was thinking of buying the same headphone, I decided to look for a more budget alternative. I was looking at the Sol Republic Jax; reviews say that they have a good sound but I was wary of its build.

I saw the XB50 in the store shelf, the box says "EXTRA BASS." I made a quick browsing of reviews on my phone, grabbed a box and went straight to the counter.

Played a few tracks (The Clash, Dream Theater, Cut Copy). Currently burning them in on my work laptop for around 5 hours now. 

I hope you like them. They certainly feel pretty rugged and sound good. Very comfortable as well.

Sep 5, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #25 of 93
I picked a pair of these up today and currently breaking them in. How do you feel about them after you have had them for a while? Are there others you would recommend at this point for the price?

Sep 5, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #26 of 93
I did not find break in helpful. Even after all this time with them I'm still indifferent. I love the bass...love it....but the treble and mids just don't do it for me. Not my preferred signature, but I still think they are a great buy and would be fine recommending them to others. I enjoy them every once in a while, but they are mostly relegated to phone call if I'm to be honest :/

I still much prefer the FX1X, FX3X, NarMoo R1M, and the ClarityOne EB110 (which is not quite bass head class, but close).

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #27 of 93
  I picked a pair of these up today and currently breaking them in. How do you feel about them after you have had them for a while? Are there others you would recommend at this point for the price?

My main music player (Samsung Nexus S) had been acting up so I removed everything and started from scratch. This meant that I lost my EQ settings. I'm glad I did, as these things with the EQ off are A LOT of fun; much more so than I remembered. The mids and treble still take a back seat to the bass, but they are nowhere near as underwhelming as what I was experiencing before.

The XB50 have also been sharing some serious ear time with my new VSonic VSD3 (no S) since you posted.  I must say that I'm going to backtrack a bit on my previous feelings, as listening to the VSD3 and these back-to-back have given me newfound appreciation for them. They don't have the spacious soundstage or the general refinement of the D3s, but they are just as pleasant a listen (at least for bass reliant genres). Like D3s, you can listen to these for hours on end as they are not fatiguing and are extremely comfortable.

I will still take the FX3X over them, but am atm liking them more than the R1M, 1X, and EB110.

How are you liking your XB50 now that you have spent some time with them?

**Edit: I just bought the Don Scorpio Bass Colour, which looks to be a re-badged Velodyne vPulse. I'll let you know how they stack up as they are in the same price range.

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #28 of 93
Hey, I just bought the XBA 50s, not sure how I feel about them. The mids and highs just seem to recessed for my liking. How do they compare to your new earbuds? I was thinking of exchanging these for vPulses which, if you're correct, are the same as your new earbuds.

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #29 of 93
Hey, I just bought the XBA 50s, not sure how I feel about them. The mids and highs just seem to recessed for my liking. How do they compare to your new earbuds? I was thinking of exchanging these for vPulses which, if you're correct, are the same as your new earbuds.

I know what you mean about the mids and highs, and completely understand.

Based on what I've read about the VPulse and my newfound experience with the Bass Colors, I don't think they use the same driver. If they do the tuning is totally different. The Bass Color, at least my pair, do not match the comments the apply to the VPulse.

If the VPulse are the bass monsters I was expecting from the Don, go for it.

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #30 of 93
They probably just use the same housing then, which does happen from time to time. I will definitely think about exchanging them but I guess I should give them a fair chance first. They certainly excel in bass, it's just it seems that whenever I listen to music the lyrics seem drowned out when there is a lot of bass going on (I listened to a Led Zepplin song, Trampled Under Foot earlier and couldn't even understand what they were saying).

However music by artists like Bassnectar is just awesome :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back