Sony MDR XB1000
Jul 14, 2015 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Andreasie

New Head-Fier
Hiya guys

I have the Sony MDR XB1000 and i got some questions on it cause at the moment i still think its a waste of money that i every bought it but my other headphones are in broken and are in Repair so i though i try these pair again and I'm still disappointed the got a 70 MM Drive but for me the really suck i listen mostly to bass songs and with these headphones if you put the volume even allitle bit loud the music is starting to get really weird like trembling in the voice i have no idea what it is and this is the only headphone that gives them with bassie songs its not even punchy or something just weird trembling in the music and I'm wonder if any one here knows its cause the headphone are broken or thetas just how the headphone is i try changing the Equalizer settings if it maybe help the problem but no dint help it at all sometimes even made it worse

i use a sound card with the headphones Creative ZXR headphone are plugged into the sound card
any help with these headphones would be greatly helped cause at the moment the rly suck for listen.

Greetz
Andreas Hoekman

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 15
The distortion levels on this headphone are fairly high for a headphone of this price.
Also the measurements show the sound is not controlled or tuned properly for high fidelity listening.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRXB1000.pdf

The impulse response is very dirty and slow, which means it can have a sloppy response to sounds with high impact like bass.
The Square Wave response indicates that this headphone has very poor control of sound, especially loose sounding bass and a very impure treble response.

This is simply not a 'hifi' headphone. 
frown.gif

I've only heard the XB700 (the little brother) and I found the resolution on this headphone to be very poor for the price tag.
The 'flavour' of the sound was very enjoyable, like looking at a nice photograph, but the quality was bad, like a nice photo taken with a 0.1 megapixel camera.

I imagine the XB1000 isn't much better.

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #3 of 15
  The distortion levels on this headphone are fairly high for a headphone of this price.
Also the measurements show the sound is not controlled or tuned properly for high fidelity listening.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRXB1000.pdf

The impulse response is very dirty and slow, which means it can have a sloppy response to sounds with high impact like bass.
The Square Wave response indicates that this headphone has very poor control of sound, especially loose sounding bass and a very impure treble response.

This is simply not a 'hifi' headphone. 
frown.gif

I've only heard the XB700 (the little brother) and I found the resolution on this headphone to be very poor for the price tag.
The 'flavour' of the sound was very enjoyable, like looking at a nice photograph, but the quality was bad, like a nice photo taken with a 0.1 megapixel camera.

I imagine the XB1000 isn't much better.

so what i get to hear its just the Headphone and i sometime ago i wasted some money on it? its so weird for the price range and the money it was that its so bad at the same time :frowning2: I have the little brother to the XB700 and its true that one does have a nice Flavor to it and back then it had a great bass and when i heard the made a bigger brother like XB1000 i was like yeah i want to buy it cause it looked awesome and 70 MM drivers must be better then 40-50MM drivers but i was really disappointed in them and should have returned them when i had the chance :frowning2:

are there no other 70 MM headphones or no one makes them anymore? i saw that sony has one but i dont trust it anymore since this fail on this Headphone and thanks for answering.

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #4 of 15
Yeah, the MDR-Z7 has a 70mm driver, but in my honest opinion, is worth around 150-200 euros.... not the asking price of nearly 700.
The sound quality simply does not justify the price tag.
The build quality and materials are absolute luxury, but the sound has a hollow-ringing that doesn't sound natural and requires modification to correct.

Really dont pay any attention to driver SIZE.. that has little to do with overall sound quality.

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 15
  Yeah, the MDR-Z7 has a 70mm driver, but in my honest opinion, is worth around 150-200 euros.... not the asking price of nearly 700.
The sound quality simply does not justify the price tag.
The build quality and materials are absolute luxury, but the sound has a hollow-ringing that doesn't sound natural and requires modification to correct.

Really dont pay any attention to driver SIZE.. that has little to do with overall sound quality.

yeah i saw it 700 bucks holy **** and what i have read about it then yeah its not worth that much money the build is really good looking tho just like the mdr xb1000 looks awesome and sits super good.

Thats kinda weird still tho i heard how bigger the driver is the better the can make it sound better ectra 70 MM are big but awesome could ya maybe tell me abit more about the drivers? how come a 40MM could be better then like say a 53 or something like that? you sound that you know allot^^

Jul 15, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 15
Nah... i don't know much. I just trust my ears, and occasionally read some graphs/measurements, compare my experiences with experiences of other,
throw in measurements into the mix and after a couple of years of trying out loads of headphones you get a pretty good idea of what's what.

In my experience, it's much harder to find a dynamic headphone that sounds natural.
Also closed-back dynamics tend to make some sacrifices in neutrality and timbre as opposed to open-back dynamic headphones which sound A LOT more natural.

I feel that planar type headphones much more easily reproduce sound in a natural way.

The problem with driver size, is that theoretically larger drivers are able to push larger amounts of air, often meaning that they're more naturally able to reproduce clear bass response,
but the larger the surface, the higher the quality of the diaphragm needs to be in material and design to prevent the larger surface from becoming uncontrolled which distorts the sound.

Planar headphones for example are driven over the entire surface of the diaphragm by an array of magnets, so these produce VERY controlled sound with ease compared to dynamics which either need tuning or treatment.

But there are always exceptions and advances in technology such as the HD800 which pushes dynamic technology to the limit.
Other dynamic headphones utilize multiple drivers per channel to achieve clearer bass response like JVC HA-SZ1000, and others use special coatings like the Panasonic RP-HD10E which has a special iridescent metallic coating,
which most likely encourages rigidity but without adding too much weight. Rigidity is good because the driver shouldn't wobble and create it's own sounds. Light weight is good because it doesn't slow down the voice coil making
a sloppy response.

If my memory is correct, the XB1000 doesn't use any special coating on the driver and relies mostly on the collossal ear pads for tuning (which are most likely largely responsible for the large uncontrolled bass response)

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #7 of 15
Thanks so much for answering^^ that's allot of info and i greatly appreciate you taking to time to type it^^

if ya don't mind i would like to ask you 1-2 more questions if ya don't mind^^

i self got the v-moda CrossFade m-100 the sadly broken and are in repair as we speak but i was wondering what your opinion about them are.

and my second question is i want to buy a second pair and just yesterday i bought these Razer Kraken Pro analog cause i have read the have realy good bass respond and i was wondering cause you said that the JVC HA-SZ1000 had a really nice bass respone and i saw the bigger brother JVC HA-SZ2000-E and i was wondering what would you recommend you think the Razer Kraken pro would suffice as bass headphone or that the JVC HA-SZ2000-E would be a better choice in bass? i dont mind losing ab it of treble or mid i mostly listen to bass trance^^

sorry for asking so many questions^^

Jul 16, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #8 of 15
Out of all those headphones, the only one I have actually heard is the Razer Kraken Pro, and it's the worst modern headphone I've ever heard.
The bass quality and control is worse than the early Beats headphones.

For in-game explosions or movies it's 'fun' but for music it sounds like poop.
I really hated it. The bass really bleeds into the rest of the sound disturbing the midrange and horribly affecting the timbre.

The only super-bassy headphone I heard that I really enjoyed was the Onkyo ES-FC300. 
There are other 'basshead' headphones out there, but this one stood out for me since the bass was REALLY overwhelming and sub-wooferish, but didn't bleed into the mids or ruin the timbre.
Quite impressive tuning on this one. 

Also, just as a side note, the Razer Kraken uses the same cheap generic chinese drivers as some lower-end logitech headset and Sharkoon Rush headsets, so basically you're paying 500% premium for the razer branding.
I'm not saying this cheap chinese driver is bad - the old Sharkoon Rush for example sounded absolutely brilliant with velour ear pads for it's stupidly low price of 10-15 euros... but the new white one with pleather ear pads uses the same driver and sounds like trash.
The discontinued AKG K518 uses the same driver again, but sounds incredibly good, easily the best of the bunch, and can be had 2nd hand for 20 euros.

So it just goes to show how much branding has an influence of price, and how much R&D can make a good little driver sound great; and without it like a steaming pile of  :poop:

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #9 of 15
While browsing eBay one day I picked up a pair of XB1000 total luck for $140 AUD ($103 USD). They were hardly used and yes, I'm aware of thier original retail price.

Without being harsh the we're very average, even 'rubbish' would be a word I'd use, exactly like the OP described. They begin to sound hollow or reverberating when you lift the volume. Apart from that you're fighting to hear any mids (which are already heavily veiled) over the artificial sub/mid bass.

I kept them in my house about 8 hours, by the next day the we're sold shipped and out of my life.

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #10 of 15
i got the Razer Kraken Pro today and your right the Bass control is not what i excepted its maybe weird but the do sound better then the XB1000 but it end it will lose the control of the bass and start trembling so i think I'm gone return them.

I checked the Onkyo ES-FC300 out and im kinda scaryed of buying them people say the sound great like you do but that the cable to the headphone is really flimsy and that the right side of the headphone sometimes cause issues in 1 headphone you mention I'm really intrested in is the JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 it seems what i have read on this site that the really are a good pair of headphones :) only downside is that the warranty is like 2 years

here the say that J.V.C HA-SZ2000 is a good bass headphone http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club but what im wondering is where can i buy them cause i only see the 30MM Driver and no where the 55MM driver did the stop making them or something or?

Thanks for the info on the headphone i really dint think the would use cheap headphones for something like 100 bucks.

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #11 of 15
http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=HA-SZ2000-E

Here it clearly states a 30mm for upper frequencies and 55mm woofer :wink:

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #12 of 15
http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=HA-SZ2000-E

Here it clearly states a 30mm for upper frequencies and 55mm woofer
wink.gif

aaaah okay now i see it :) i was confused on a dutch site it only said 30MM driver and i was like huh What? do you recommend these headphones or?^^ if ya recommend them I'm gone change them for the Razor one's i trust in your judgement^^

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #13 of 15
While browsing eBay one day I picked up a pair of XB1000 total luck for $140 AUD ($103 USD). They were hardly used and yes, I'm aware of thier original retail price.

Without being harsh the we're very average, even 'rubbish' would be a word I'd use, exactly like the OP described. They begin to sound hollow or reverberating when you lift the volume. Apart from that you're fighting to hear any mids (which are already heavily veiled) over the artificial sub/mid bass.

I kept them in my house about 8 hours, by the next day the we're sold shipped and out of my life.

I'm glad I'm not the only who thinks the same way its unbelievable how bad these headphones can sound while the are made perfectly and have the highest comfort i ever had with headphones the just sound really bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back