Sony MDR-XB*** series? What happened?
Jan 15, 2016 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

lilkoolaidman

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys

Haven't posted here in forever and I've been out of the loop. I was looking for another pair of XB-700s as I lost mine a while ago and I enjoyed using them for music like drum n bass, trap, hip-hop, and other bass heavy music.

So, I go to search google shopping and eBay and the lowest buy it now price is $250 for the 700s and $295 for the 500s! What gives? Are these some highly sought after cans now? Is it just because they're discontinued?

I know Sony has a new line-up of "extra-bass" phones, but I don't care for the Bluetooth on the higher end ones and I like the comfort of the originals and the feeling of those big pads vibrating on your head ☺️.

I know there's other, more balanced cans to get my bass fix, but I was just shocked at this. I like them but not for that much!

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 3
They became end-of-life and then bassheads started buying up the remaining stock.

What everybody would like to have from Sony is the power of XB1000 with the plushness of those pads and the sound-quality of at least the very minimum of MDR-1A (and not the fart cannon that XB1000 was). Sony could do it, they have the resources. They'd sell a ton of them, but their marketing department is sleep at the research wheel...

You can get Sony MDR-XB950AP (not BT), which is wired, and not with a bluetooth connection.

It's not the same as XB500, but it is what Sony has to offer.

If you want better/more bass, then it's time for you to upgrade:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 3
That's crazy they're so much. They used to be dirt cheap. Not even some HD-580s cost that much when they show up for sale and they're FAR better all around.

I think I may pick up some M50s or SRH-840s. I'll check out that thread though thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back