Sony MDR XB 500 vs Skullcandy Aviators
Apr 26, 2012 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pottrpupptpals

New Head-Fier
Hello. I am a newly self-proclaimed audiophile looking to invest in a second pair of cans. My first pair of headphones that I bought and used seriously were Skullcandy Titans. I am aware that Skullcandy is known for putting fashion first and sound second, but those were $40, a lot to me for headphones at the time, and well worth the money (in my opinion). As I've progressed more into music, whether it be discovering new genre's, rediscovering old beauty, or just picking some new instruments to learn, I'm ready for a full-size pair. My budget is $50 at max, hence why I picked out the Sony MDR XB 500's. I went to Best Buy, looking to find some new ones, and I came across the Beats by Dre. I had been looking into those, but had never tried them out. After being THOROUGHLY disappointed, I walked over to a different stand, noticing a pair of headphones with the biggest pads I've ever seen- the XB 500's. After plugging my iPod in and listening to some tracks, I was fully satisfied with the headphones, but not with the $80 price tag. Luckily, Amazon retails them for $50, the top of my budget. Before I go further, may I say that I know they have some issues, but nothing I'm too worried about. Well, today I was at school and my friend had my try on his newly-purchased Skullcandy Aviators. I love the feel and the sound of them, I'm just not pleased with the build quality (I'm not saying that a lifetime warranty excuses poor build quality, but I guess it makes up for some of it). Now I'm torn between the two pairs, but there's just one thing- Would I want to spend $50 or just wait 8 months? I'm pretty sure I'd be able to get them for Christmas, but that means no really good headphones for a significantly long period of time. Here are my factors:

1- Price Point- Do I pay $50 out of pocket or get them for free at Christmas?
2- Why Wait- I am already satisfied with the XB's, however I do feel that the Aviators are a better fit sound-wise
3- Protection- Would I rather pay $50 with a 90 day warranty, or wait for a lifetime warranty?

Before finishing up, I'd like to note that if I were to get the XB's, I will treat them as if they're HD 800's, so buying the XB's now and waiting until Christmas for the Aviators is not an option.

So, my question to you guys is this-
Should I spend $50 now for headphones I'm satisfied with, or wait 8 months for ones I am also satisfied with, but also come with a lifetime warranty?

P.S.- If anyone has any other Headphone suggestions- know that I'm open, but I'm not looking to spend over $50, and that I'll probably make my choice within the next 2 days

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 6
My personal favorite budget headphone is the Ficher Audio FA-003/Brainwavz HM5/Lindy Premium Hi-Fi(close enough to be clones),wich are all over $100(There alot better than both headphones you listed).You can get a generic version of these for $50 at jaycar http://www.jaycar.us/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&keywords=headphones&form=KEYWORD.The Aviators are fragile but very good for a celebrity endorsed headphone(Jay z),but they still have issues.The XB's if like the 700's(improved version from what I understand) are bass heavy and unless your a bass head then I would avoid them due to the bass bleading,a bit bloated and muddy.This is my experience with these (ipod and fiio e11) but take it with a grain of salt.

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually unaware that Aviators were celebrity endorsed, but in my opinion they do sound very good. I looked into the 700's, and they are out of my price range + not as good quality.

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 6
In my honest opinion, the Skullcandy Aviators are excellent headphones and sound better than my father's $200 Sony NC200D's, which are also generally considered to be great cans. The fact that the Aviators are celebrity endorsed does not affect anything; they may be endorsed by Jay-Z, but they're a very neutral, clean-sounding set of cans with a spacious soundstage. A far cry from the muddy, "dirty bass" of Monster's Beats by Dre. On the other hand, those Sony XB500's are bass-slamming headphones and advertised as "Extra Bass", meaning they amplify and enhance the bass, making it unnatural. That may be the kind of thing you like though, and I've never tried those headphones myself so I can't comment. But I have and love my Skullcandy Aviators :)

EDIT: Also, I have had my Aviators for some time now, and while the build quality doesn't feel reassuring, these cans can hold their own. I've dropped them and accidentally stressed the cord, and they still work like a charm.

Apr 30, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 6
I'm going to have to disagree on the soundstage while it is sort of spacious(not fischer fa 003 or hd600/50 spacious),it has no depth at all and it just makes it sound distant, also sort of on the build quality, mine have snaped on my head(I have a big head even for being 6'8'').Don't get me wrong though I like them,the celebrity endorsment comment was actually in favor of the Aviators incase the OP read that it was and became hessitant of them.

Apr 30, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 6
Honestly, I dislike the Aviators. To me they feel screechy. It depends on the music you like, the XB's are very fun and bass heavy. Suitable for electronic music and hip hop. 

Also, check out the JVC HA-RX 700, they're around $40 on amazon. There's simple mods you can do to make them sound 5x their price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back