Sony MDR-V700DJ vs. Sennheiser HD-590
Nov 8, 2002 at 12:09 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
Getting your v700's back magicthyse? what'd you have to do? i hope it didn't involve anything too abrupt...

but magic, how do the v700's compare against the hd590's? i value your opinion very much when it comes to the v700's because i know you have extensive listening with them and also with other quality phones (that is, of course, with a grain of salt -- of course we are all biased about our headphones in one way or another).

I don't know about the 590's. And the comparison isn't really relevant - one's an open phone and not portable, and the other's closed and portable.

However comparing the HD600 against the V700's as a matter of interest, the Senn spanks the aluminium driver covers off the V700
biggrin.gif
But then we are comparing apples and oranges...

EDIT: Jeez, you beat me to it Eagle...

Nov 8, 2002 at 12:35 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
I don't know about the 590's. And the comparison isn't really relevant - one's an open phone and not portable, and the other's closed and portable.

Well, I only brought it up because it was the topic of this thread.

And in terms of the v700's vs. the 580's, there really only is about a $30-60 price difference, depending on where they are purchased. Now the RS-1's is a different story...

Nov 8, 2002 at 12:42 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
Well, I only brought it up because it was the topic of this thread.

And in terms of the v700's vs. the 580's, there really only is about a $30-60 price difference, depending on where they are purchased. Now the RS-1's is a different story...

[Slaps Head]
Of course you're right about the title... Now I realise why it's so easy to threadcrap
biggrin.gif

However the apples and oranges thing still stands - you're comparing totally different phones so the only relevant base of comparison is what environment and what equipment you plan to use the phones with.

Nov 8, 2002 at 7:38 AM Post #19 of 32
They both cost about the same (200€) here, so that's why I asked... although I have already bought the HD-590 this monday after a long consideration (and after reading some "not-so-flattering" comments about them here), I can still return them and trade them in for the Sonys, but apparently there is no need for it.

And don't get tangled up in the fact that why did I by the 590's; They sounded great to me then and they sound even better to me now. End of discussion.

Nov 8, 2002 at 8:05 AM Post #20 of 32
Pace,
I don't have the V700, but did audition them brifely. The V700 can't be compare to the Senn HD-590. The HD-590s are much better sounding phone. Still, you need an amp for your Senn HD-590 to reveal the true potentail. I did have the V900 for a period of time, and I must say that they are bad sounding phone when compares to many of the better ones here. Please, look in my profile for my headphones experience.

Purk

Nov 8, 2002 at 8:15 AM Post #21 of 32
Purk: Thanks for your input.

Without any amplification (straight from the soundcard) the phones really didn't sound too good, but luckily my speakers (Logitech Z-560) have a amplified headphone-out that improved the sound noticably. A seperate amp might sound even better, but at the moment I'm happy with this configuration. Maybe in the future.

Nov 8, 2002 at 8:37 AM Post #22 of 32
Pace,
I highly suggest you to get some sort of better amplication to feed your Senn HD-590 in the future. You are using about half of the true potential of your cans. I highly suggest Meta42 amp and Fixup Supermini for your Senn HD-590

Purk

Nov 30, 2002 at 4:35 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
Wrong! The V700's resolve nearly as deep as, if not as deep as, the HD280 as far as the ear is concerned. Surprised? I was... After reading Eagle_Driver's mantras for so long, even I was beginning to think so. But no.

The lack of detail is also subjective... Put it next to a Beyer DT250-80 (as I could, and you probably didn't) - a much more expensive phone - and you won't be so sure, although it definitely sounds a little scratchier.

The balooned midbass is disconcerting with some music - but definitely not for most of what I listen to.

Bottom line. I had the V700 (and will have it back again soon) alongside the HD280, the DT250 and numerous other headphones that don't have the unjustified rep here like the V700's. How many of you auditioned the V700's for extended periods alongside the other lauded phones here? None, I'll bet...

I think I know why I thought the Sony MDR-V700DJ lacked really deep bass:

I was using the V700 only on a PCDP - and a gutless Sony CD Walkman, at that - at the time that I had owned that 'phone! HAH! That's because the V700 is notorious for requiring a lot of headphone-output current capability just to get any real bass extension, due to its very low 24-ohm impedance rating. (The V900 and the 7509 suffer from the very same problem as the V700, as far as extracting usable deep-bass from PCDPs is concerned.) And on PCDPs, I've actually heard better deep-bass extension from relatively high-impedance headphones than I did from any very-low-impedance headphones.

So, I'm concluding that the V700 is a poor choice for use with gutless portable players (despite its extremely high efficiency), not only due to the extremely high current requirement of that 'phone for it to produce any low bass whatsoever, but also because the built-in op-amp inside the average "long-battery-life" PCDP lacks anywhere near sufficient current-delivery capability to reproduce that oomph. As a result, the PCDP's built-in op-amp will run out of current, and the resulting sound from the V700/PCDP combo will be hollow and lifeless. (Like, that boomy mid-bass hump will diminish - but what is happening to the rest of my bass, as well?
eek.gif
) The V700 really needs an amp - in fact, even more so than do most other DJ headphones priced as high as the V700 - in order to get the impact that those 'phones are famous (or notorious) for! (Likewise, most of the higher-end Sony headphones require an amp in order to sound their best, despite their extremely high efficiency.) And even with an amp, the rest of the sound from the V700 is mediocre.
tongue.gif

And BTW, in much of Europe, the V700 is actually more expensive than the Beyer DT250-80. In the U.S., the full retail price for the V700 (as priced at big-name electronics superstores) is almost equal to the average selling price for the DT250-80.

Nov 30, 2002 at 5:42 PM Post #24 of 32
I like the 590 pretty well. Never heard the V700, but from the sound of it, even in magisyth's opinion, it doesn't sound like I would.

Nov 30, 2002 at 7:09 PM Post #25 of 32
Thats interesting I thought, Eagle Driver. Finally a chance to use my frequency test CD! I used a MZ-N707 minidisc (no amp), and a MD deck with a proper amp with the MDR-7509 (sounded the same as the MDRV700 to me, but for double the price something maybe has to be different...???? but it has exactly the same specs and sounds the same
confused.gif
) and I couldn't tell any difference or any particular difference as far as relative response goes in the bass extension down to 30hz. I could hear the 20hz tone but it was fluttering.
If you hunt around you can buy a DT250-80 for about £90. Similarly some digging around reveals a MDRV700 for £85. Typical prices are £100 for the MDRV700 and £109 for the DT250, which is what I paid in both cases, so there's not much in it. If I had to choose one phone for a do everything and I had the two choices, I'd choose the MDRV700 as it is more versatile physically and also for what you can use with it. But the DT250 is definitely less scratchy, for want of a better word so if you are willing to make sacrifices in practicality you are better off going for the DT250.
Personally although the MDR-7509 still gets plenty of use, I would ideally want a slightly brighter sound than either of these so now I tend to pick up my recently acquired MDR-7506 much more often. Plus the 7506 is considerably more portable than the V700, 7509 or the DT250.

Nov 30, 2002 at 7:35 PM Post #26 of 32
I was told that the 7509 is the same to the V700 as the 7506 is to the V6. Enough so that the sound is the same anyway, I understand they look quite different? I like the V6/7506 ok too, it's hard not too, bu I'd love to try it with thicker pads...

Dec 1, 2002 at 12:01 AM Post #27 of 32
They look very different. The 7509 is a lot more comfortable because it's fully circumaural and has really nice cushions, creaks more and is easier to wear on the neck (because the band extends REALLY long). The 7509 also has angled drivers like the Sony Eggos and Audio-Technica ART series, where I'm fairly sure the V700 didn't. I have no idea if this makes them better.

Dec 1, 2002 at 4:04 AM Post #28 of 32
Bangraman,
My HP 800 Philips cans have angled drivers. This is intended to improve soundstage.
Cheers,
Alex Altorfer

Dec 1, 2002 at 4:14 AM Post #29 of 32
Stovkiller PM'd me, seems he's concerned about the 7509/V700 debate. I should point out that I've never heard, or even touched either the 7509 or the V700. Well, I may have touched a V700 once, but I didn't hear it, and I've certainly never seen a 7509. I'm just passing along what I heard. If this is infact a touchy issue for any reason, than I apologize for propagating any rumors..

Dec 1, 2002 at 10:30 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkWolf
I was told that the 7509 is the same to the V700 as the 7506 is to the V6. Enough so that the sound is the same anyway, I understand they look quite different? I like the V6/7506 ok too, it's hard not too, bu I'd love to try it with thicker pads...

I have heard this, and also believe it to be correct...

Darkwolf, what did Sovkiller tell you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back