Sony MDR-V6s alternatives?
Sep 22, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #31 of 50

Looks good! I've been there a few times to rent musical equipment for events, but didnt know they did headphones too :) Ill go in and see what they recommend me :)

You might as well. Nothing beats a brick and mortar if you can find what you are looking for. Heck they used to sell the V6 and 7506. They can also special order headphones that they don't normally carry. It's also nice to know you can just walk in for an exchange or what have you if you have any issues.

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #32 of 50

You might as well. Nothing beats a brick and mortar if you can find what you are looking for. Heck they used to sell the V6 and 7506. They can also special order headphones that they don't normally carry. It's also nice to know you can just walk in for an exchange or what have you if you have any issues.

Agreed! :) Brick and mortar is best!

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #33 of 50
You'd have to be deaf not to hear the obvious differences between them.

Questioning my hearing ability is the most disrespectful thing you can do to me. Don't let it happen again.

I noticed you both evaded my question about comparative listening tests and ignored the explanations I offered about why they could sound different. And I made no comment about your hearing, did I?

Now if you are claiming the fabled "golden ear," well, by now you should know I'm an objectivist. You should now by now you get no respect from an objectivist for claiming that. (lol)

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #34 of 50
I noticed you both evaded my question about comparative listening tests and ignored the explanations I offered about why they could sound different. And I made no comment about your hearing, did I?

Now if you are claiming the fabled "golden ear," well, by now you should know I'm an objectivist. You should now by now you get no respect from an objectivist for claiming that. (lol)

You strongly implied my assessment was incorrect. I heard them for extended periods. They sound different. Nothing else to say.

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #35 of 50
You strongly implied my assessment was incorrect. I heard them for extended periods.They sound different. Nothing else to say.

What assessment was that? That you heard the V6 at some point in time, and then the 7506 at some point in time, and that they sounded different to you. You offered no other clarification of your comparison method. Others I have read who compared them directly say they sound the same. As I clearly stated,

I've heard so much debate about this, it's as bad as the white box vs. blue box M50 debates. IMO, there's no clear answer.

That last statement should make clear that I have doubts about listening comparisons cited on both sides of the 7506/V6 debate. Perhaps you should avoid discussing controversial issues if you aren't comfortable with people doubting your opinion.

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #37 of 50
  I'm having a deja vu moment. Is it just me or do you two seem to get into these little quibbles a lot?!! LOL

Not anymore. I guarantee it.
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #38 of 50

So I did a bit of looking about and I think it's between the Sony MDR-V7506/V6, or the Audio Technica M40X.

Looking for information, it seems I may like the M40x's better due to better durability, comfort, looks, and the whole two detachable cable thing which means if I mess up a cable like with my V6, I can just buy another and not have to recable anything.

I was also looking around for comparison in sounds, and found these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udLoAV7YmjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWR7t-Vqoms

In both of these videos, I find out that I really dislike the HD280, and that it sounds like trash to me. Though, back on topic, in the first video I like both the M40X and the 7506, where the 7506 lacks a bit of bottom, but the M40X lacks that high end twinkle.

Then I watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWR7t-Vqoms

Here, the HD280 still sounds like garbage, but again back on topic. The 7506 sounds really good and strong, again lacking a bit of bottom end, while the M40X sounds almost worse than the HD280. WAY too overbearing on the bottom end and any mid or top end clarity is completely sucked out.

Now again, its just a video, maybe the video wasnt great or maybe they sound different in real life, but I just wanted to confirm;

Im not sure if you have experience with the M40x, but is the bottom end THAT overbearingly dominant that it ruins all other frequencies in some genres? If thats the case, im grabbing another pair of 7506s.

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #39 of 50
Now again, its just a video, maybe the video wasnt great or maybe they sound different in real life, but I just wanted to confirm;

Keep in mind that what you are hearing is being colored by the sound of your current headphones. So listening to headphone recordings is a bit like testing out speakers in a store where someone has applied a lot of EQ. That, and then you aren't likely to get a proper sense of soundstage and imaging from the recordings.

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #40 of 50
Keep in mind that what you are hearing is being colored by the sound of your current headphones. So listening to headphone recordings is a bit like testing out speakers in a store where someone has applied a lot of EQ. That, and then you aren't likely to get a proper sense of soundstage and imaging from the recordings.

Thats a very, very good point. I was listening to these through my Brainwavz Delta IEMs since I'm at my college, and these are not the most neutral sounding IEMs out there.

Im just looking for someone with experience with the M40X and whether they are so bass heavy as they appear. I do not like having an overbearing bottom end and prefer clarity and range in my sound signature, with good high and mid-end extension with a present bottom end.

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #41 of 50
  Im just looking for someone with experience with the M40X and whether they are so bass heavy as they appear. I do not like having an overbearing bottom end and prefer clarity and range in my sound signature, with good high and mid-end extension with a present bottom end.

The M40x is nowhere near as bass-heavy as the M50x, but it's not as bass-light as the 7506/V6. I owned them all. The M40x is by far the most neutral one, but none of these headphones sound that good compared to high-end stuff.

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #42 of 50
By the way, I've watched all those Sonic Sense videos in the past, using various headphones, and the M40x was the only one on the videos that sounded indistinguishable from the recordings. However, in actual use, like I said, the sound quality of the M40x can't compare to higher-end headphones. If you want by far the best sound quality for your money, you'd be better off getting a used STAX system. Some are available for under $100 if you're lucky.

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #43 of 50
  By the way, I've watched all those Sonic Sense videos in the past, using various headphones, and the M40x was the only one on the videos that sounded indistinguishable from the recordings. However, in actual use, like I said, the sound quality of the M40x can't compare to higher-end headphones. If you want by far the best sound quality for your money, you'd be better off getting a used STAX system. Some are available for under $100 if you're lucky.

A college student is probably wanting something he can take while out and about, in between classes, in the library, etc. Stax isn't going to work for that.   LOL

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #45 of 50

Not gonna work well. Need something on the go since I go to college and need something very portable. Also don't want used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back