Sony MDR-V6
Aug 8, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #121 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
Well, your hearing is very different from that of many people. If anything, I found the V6 to be thin on the upper bass and lower midrange. But maybe the mid-bass is emphasized on that 'phone. As a result, it sounded hollow in the lower ranges.

The V600 phones, on the other hand, are very much the polar opposite of the V6 phones: There is no bass whatsoever, way too much output in the upper bass and lower midrange, and is uneven, dull and muddy at the high end. Both of those "extremes" are not good.

The V6 has very pronounced bass and upper-midrange/highs, on all sources. The same source used with other phones shows no such character. The character of the phones is clear and unmistakeable. It has nothing to do with any flaw in my hearing, which is superb...

Aug 8, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #124 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by aron
why have i seen some people describing the V6 as supraaural? aren't they circumaural? are these people incorrect?

i think its because some people have big ears in which case the V6 isnt circumarual

Aug 8, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #125 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch0mp
i think its because some people have big ears in which case the V6 isnt circumarual

for these people, would the V600 s not be circumaural, either? i'm curious because the V600s go completely around my ear and i'm wondering if the V6 would fit the same.

Aug 9, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #126 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by ama
Mike, Eagle never said your hearing was flawed, he said it was different. Maybe he is right.

Adam

But how I describe them coincides with the descriptions of many others...

Aug 9, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #127 of 162
plainface.gif

Aug 9, 2004 at 6:48 AM Post #129 of 162
icon10.gif

sonyv6_mike.jpg

-Chris

Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
Maybe so... but not everyone thinks as you do. This thread is starting to go nowhere and into he said/she said mode. To conclude...

MIKE HATES THE SONYS!!!

Anthing else?
rolleyes.gif

Aug 9, 2004 at 12:26 PM Post #131 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by WmAx
icon10.gif

sonyv6_mike.jpg

-Chris

LOL...classic! Love the hades bit.

Aug 9, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #134 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
Another subscription to unsubscribe. Too many a**holes...

Yes, there are too many. Some people can't hear, and they post here anyway. Some people can't argue their way out of a paper box, yet they argue here. Such people think affirming the consequent makes their premises true. Nope.
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #135 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Scarpitti
Yes, there are too many. Some people can't hear, and they post here anyway. Some people can't argue their way out of a paper box, yet they argue here. Such people think affirming the consequent makes their premises true. Nope.
biggrin.gif

I agree with you and archosman also, that there are too many A-holes F'ing up forums such as these. You can't reliably measure (using lab instruments) the response of headphones. No wonder why Headroom's measurements (of the 7506's) failed to pick up the mid-bass emphasis of those 'phones - while j-curve's DIY plots could (and even Consumer Reports' 1989 tests showed a slight mid-bass emphasis on the V6's). However, the CR plot fot the V6's failed to pick up the serious treble boost at about 10kHz. (It's strange that CR only showed graphs for the V6's and a Sony headphone which rated much lower than even the V6's.)

And you may be correct about the V6's/7506's: I could detect some low-end flabbiness, as well. But a lot of other headphones even at higher price points (though none that you've listened to extensively) are even more severely bloated than that. And the highs - they're the worst part about the V6's/7506's, IMHO: Way overbright and harsh both at once.

And I think that the DIY plots by j-curve are much closer to the actual truth than any of the lab measurements, as far as Sony V6's are concerned. And I may be starting to agree with j-curve's plots on the CD2000's, as well: Headroom's most recent response plot of the CD2000's showed a big hump in the mid-bass and upper bass, with a seriously sharp roll-off below 50Hz. That is because the CD2000's pads didn't fit the acoustic mannequin correctly. That fit also explains the very sharp peak in the treble response at 10-15kHz in Headroom's CD2000 graph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back