Sony MDR-V6 vs. V7506
Apr 10, 2008 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

elmo541992

New Head-Fier
I am considering buying sony mdr-v6's for my new general purpose headphones. I was planning on going to my local guitar center to buy, test, and return them, just to make sure I like them. I checked out their website, and they only sell the Sony mdr-V7506's. I probably won't buy the later, but I may make my test judgment on these.

So the main question is, how, EXACTLY, do the v6's differ from the v7506's?

I understand that they are basically the same cans, but there are a few differences in specs. The v7506's have a slightly smaller freq resp than the v6's, but they're considered "studio", so are they more detailed than the v6's, or the the more expensive ones sound worse, just to piss off the typical American producer?

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #2 of 12
I've read a lot of posts about this. Many people say that the two differences are the price(higher for the 7506) and the warranty. If you have a warranty repair/replacement with the V6, Sony tends to send you a V600. With the 7506 they will send you a 7506.

Apparently all the parts numbers are the same. Why the specs are different is a question.

As for the warranty issue - I've got a pair of V600's I've been using for 10 years. The ear pads are in bad shape. Otherwise they work well. I have faith in their ability to last.

Apr 10, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ear pads are in bad shape.

The thing to do with these headphones is replace the stock pads with the velour ones for the beyerdynamic DT250. You can order them from B&H and many other places.

313962.jpg

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 12
The 7506 has a gold plug, and Sony doesn't have to put it in a box with red satin lining.
wink.gif

Agree about the DT250 pads - a worthwhile exercise, since the Sony pleather self-destructs onto your ears, your face, your neck, your clothes, it grinds into and stains the carpet, etc. IMHO, Sony pleather should be banned from the market.

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 12
While listening to them, will I ever really notice any difference in the way they sound? Would either be better for gaming or rock music, or should I stick wwith my original idea, and go with the cheaper ones; being that the price isn't worth it for me?

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by elmo541992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While listening to them, will I ever really notice any difference in the way they sound? Would either be better for gaming or rock music, or should I stick wwith my original idea, and go with the cheaper ones; being that the price isn't worth it for me?

Sony does not produce V6 no more, it's the 7506 who's the replacement.

If you want to invest in more fullfilling headphones, you should get more $$ and consider the Sony MDR 7509HD, quality built is better, size is about 3/4 bigger than the 7506 ,sound is alot better, I have listened to 7506 for a while and was longing for my 7509.

7506 are good but the 7509 are superior on everything: definition,clarity,wideness,soundstage,dimension,r eproduction of bass...

I have mine since 6 months, and I am very happy.

regards,

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 12
The 7506's are nearly indestructible; the build quality is excellent. The bass seems a little artificial and boosted up, as does the treble. The V6's are almost the same, but sounded more natural with less of an artificial-sounding bass, but I believe they don't make them anymore. If you can find them I'd get them over the 7506.

I'd check out the Beyer DT250. More expensive, but IMO better sounding and a little more laid back. The sony's can be a little fatiguing at times (for me) just because of the treble, but my ears are very sensitive to high frequency.

May 2, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #10 of 12
I have a pair of 14+ year old MDR-7506's, and just a little over a year ago replaced the ear pads with the Beyer DT250 pads. Not only do they feel and fit better, they also made the 7506's sound better! Tighter, deeper bass and fuller midrange.

As for the V6 vs 7506, the 7506 has a much tigher QC and match of the drivers. Also, I think I read somewhere that the openings in front of the drivers on the 7506 is better than that of the V6.

I'm using a highly modded tube amp with NOS tubes on mine and I can honestly say that the MDR-7506's do not have bloated bass or exaggerated treble. In fact, throughout the entire range, they are pretty darn neutral. They could possibly stand a touch more refinement for home use, but for studio use, they are just about the perfect tool. And when powered by a decent tube amp, they are pretty hard to beat. I actually prefer these over the AKG K701's I had (powered with the same amp)!
eek.gif

May 2, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing to do with these headphones is replace the stock pads with the velour ones for the beyerdynamic DT250. You can order them from B&H and many other places.

313962.jpg

Just a simple question: you mention many other places -- do you know of any? I ask because the shipping to Canada from B&H is more than the cost of the pads...

May 2, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #12 of 12
I do audio work, the pair of 7506 on my desktop that I use almost daily for listening tests lasted more than 10 years, yes the build quality is high.

For me it is also quite comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back