sony mdr v6 vs technica m40x of tue two which is more neutral?
Feb 5, 2015 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

traptack

New Head-Fier
I'm getting mixed responses when I ask a few people at other places regarding which is more neutral of the two. How much more neutral is one over the other ? I'm primarily looking for those for voice work and recording. But after trying on the v6 and being blown away at how stuff like electronica can sound so clear and exact it made me wonder maybe I would want to wear these for music listening too.

I hear the m40x is the best of the two for listening also that it is a bit more brighter ? Then I hear how they also happen to be more bassy heavy or something of the sort. Thoughts ?

I'm curious if the difference between the two are shortened after they both have gotten a chance to burn in.

I got my used v6 for like 60 bucks and considering a swap. I don't plan on picking or buying any better headphones in the near future mind you. Curious if the difference between the two are so substantial that I should shell in another 30 bucks for the m40x.

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 9
I'm getting mixed responses when I ask a few people at other places regarding which is more neutral of the two. I'm primarly looking for those for voice work and recording. But after trying on the v6 and being blown away at how stuff like electronica can sound so clear and exact it made me wonder maybe I would want to wear these for music listening too.

I hear the m40x is the best of the two for listening also that it is a bit more brighter ? Then I hear how they also happen to be more bassy heavy or something of the sort. Thoughts ?

I'm curious if the difference between the two are shortened after they both have gotten a chance to burn in.

I got my used v6 for like 60 bucks and considering a swap. I don't plan on picking or buying any better headphones in the near future mind you. Curious if the difference between the two are so substantial that I should shell in another 30 bucks for the m40x.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2361&graphID[]=1513&graphID[]=2951&scale=30
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=3&graphID[]=2361&graphID[]=1513&graphID[]=2951&scale=30
http://s837.photobucket.com/user/solderdude/media/m40x110dbsmoothed_zpsf3aeee8f.png.html

You can't compare the graphs directly but the m40x seems like more of a v-shaped headphone.

The brainwavz hm5/nvx xpt100 is another popular option
http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-hm5-studio-monitor-headphones
http://www.head-fi.org/t/624729/review-nvx-xpt100-a-direct-brainwavz-hm5-competitor

Feb 5, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 9
I didn't like the sound of the M40X. It sounds kind of bland, not dynamic/lively enough. The treble was not very clear at all but still sometimes strident. If you're going with Audio-technica I'd only go with the M50 or M50X. 

V6 is a more true studio monitor and will sound infinitely better with vocals due to the better mids. Also the V6 pads make it sound more open/natural rather than the boxy sound on the M40X and even M50X. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 9
  I didn't like the sound of the M40X. It sounds kind of bland, not dynamic/lively enough. The treble was not very clear at all but still sometimes strident. If you're going with Audio-technica I'd only go with the M50 or M50X. 

V6 is a more true studio monitor and will sound infinitely better with vocals due to the better mids. Also the V6 pads make it sound more open/natural rather than the boxy sound on the M40X and even M50X. 

what do you personally use your headphones for? pleasure or recording.
Interesting response though, i'd appreciate if any others can chime in about this as well.

Yes the V6 isn't a fun headphone, I just hear that the trebles are quite high.

@zunehdrocks  thanks for the charts! I had trouble finding ones for the 40x. Isn't V shaped mean that it's bass/treble heavy meaning it's far from neutral?

Feb 5, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 9
All my listening is for fun but I've found there are huge differences in studio monitor headphones though. I'd actually recommend HD 380 over the M40X. The best one I've heard that I think would be good for professional use is the Yamaha MT220 because to me it just sounds the most correct and lucid. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 9
Isn't V shaped mean that it's bass/treble heavy meaning it's far from neutral?

Yes. To a certain extent. V-shaped means that on a frequency response chart. So the shape could be more or less emphatic of the bass and treble relative to the mids.

Feb 6, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 9

what do you personally use your headphones for? pleasure or recording.
Interesting response though, i'd appreciate if any others can chime in about this as well.

Yes the V6 isn't a fun headphone, I just hear that the trebles are quite high.

@zunehdrocks  thanks for the charts! I had trouble finding ones for the 40x. Isn't V shaped mean that it's bass/treble heavy meaning it's far from neutral?

Edit:
NM
Cel4145 already answered the question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back