Sony MDR-V6 vs Sony MDR-7506 for music production on FL Studio 11
Aug 8, 2014 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Thunderfoxx

New Head-Fier
I purchased a pair of Shure SRH-440 headphones about 9 months ago, and I loved them, however I say loved because the beams holding the left earcup in place broke, and my newborn kittens chewed up the exposed cables, and I've been looking at these headphones for actually 2-3 years now, but I need to know, which is better and why? I used a VERY old pair of 7506's at a Guitar Center, and they sounded great, however they were a little dark in the treble. Also I will not accept ANY other recommendations other than these two.

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 29
These two cans are considered to be very close by those of us who are not studio/music production types.  Perhaps a more revealing question would be what is the difference between the vintage versions and the newer versions.

I suggest that you find a profesional audio site where you can talk to other engineers and music production folks about these quality entry level studio cans.

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 29
I purchased a pair of Shure SRH-440 headphones about 9 months ago, and I loved them, however I say loved because the beams holding the left earcup in place broke, and my newborn kittens chewed up the exposed cables, and I've been looking at these headphones for actually 2-3 years now, but I need to know, which is better and why? I used a VERY old pair of 7506's at a Guitar Center, and they sounded great, however they were a little dark in the treble. Also I will not accept ANY other recommendations other than these two.

I own the MDR-V6s, from my understanding, the V6s had a tiny bit more bass, compared to the 7506s, the 7506 maybe being a little brighter.
But is been years sense I did reading up on the comparisons between those two models.

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 29
I know one very significant difference between the two is the magnet used in the driver, have you noticed any difference in the sound, by any considerable margin?

I've never listened to the 7506, I did read several reviews and some of them talked about the V6s vs 7506s
The material inside is different, but they are still very similar sounding.
Could be Sony just copied the design of the V6, but used different material to justify the 7506s price?
Sony first made the V6s, then switched over to the 7506, but enough people said they preferred the V6s that they started making the V6 again.

I bought my V6s used and added aftermarket velour ear pads (Beyerdynamic EDT 250/280 ear pads).
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=313962&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6pGfBRD09M-TmYTBzqIBEiQAcRzH59hEzkO9gaIKxmO8ZHBOczTsgpMddlDpeA0uVR9LOzwaAnKg8P8HAQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #7 of 29
Alright, but at the same time I don't know if it'd be worth more to invest in the V6, as right now on Amazon the 7506 is $84.95, and the V6 is $99. (U.S Dollars BTW)

Here you go.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/539506/sony-mdr-v6-vs-mdr-7506-there-is-a-difference-in-sound-pictures-too

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #9 of 29
Get a used V6, regularly found ~$50. I have both and V6 has slightly more bass. But it's not noticeable unless a/b'ing them. The treble falls off a cliff on both but before that they are rather flat.

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #11 of 29
The V6 sounds slightly more realistic, the 7506 sounds a little thinner but only noticeable in direct comparison. Not sure why you won't take suggestions for something else, the ATH M40x is vastly superior for production and costs $99

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #12 of 29
The main reason why is build quality. I've spent money on Shure SRH440's and they ended up breaking. Plus the Sony's have been around THIS long, they have to have a great build quality.

Aug 9, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #13 of 29
I'm on my 3rd pair of V6s, and pads disentigrate in like 6 months. The ath m50 has legendary durability and I've had mine over 3 years without issue and the M40x looks to have similar build quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back