Sony MDR-V6 VS. Shure SRH750DJ
Dec 11, 2011 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

100+ Head-Fier
Was looking to get either, and need to make my decision by tonight.

I've spent a little bit of time looking for new headphones to upgrade over my Panasonic DJ-RPS400s as they kept breaking on me, and I came across these two models, but I just cant seem to decide on one over the other.

So I ask you guys (and girls) and head-fi, which is best for me? :D

Criteria:

The headphones need to be durable. Very durable. They will be with me everywhere! At school, in my silent room, out on my walks through nature, while running around, on car rides, on my way home from school, you name it! These arent going to be my "studio headphones" or "room headphones" or "gaming headphones", these are going to be my "LIFE headphones"! And they should be extremely durable as such!

The headphones need to have good audio quality! My buildup of what I usually use my headphones for is about 75% Music Listening, 20% Gaming (on PC), and 5% Skype, Music Mixing, Misc. and I also want the quality to be just darn good! The music I usually listen to is just about everything, except I almost NEVER listen to country, classical, jazz, and heavy screamo and I usually listen to electronica, rock, Coldplay (yes. A genre of their own.), and jpop/kpop, though I do listen to the other genres I havent mentioned, just not as much as these ones.

The headphones need to be comfortable. As I said before, they're going to be my life headphones, they should be comfortable for me to wear every day, all day, for all purposes and situations.

The headphones shouldnt NEED and amp, but should be able to benefit from one. I have a Fiio E6 in the mail. While I know it's a portable amp and doesnt do the same thing as desktop amps, it does supply more power, and so an amp is an amp. I want my headphones to benefit when I have the E6 with me, but should also be able to do fine without them when the E6 is charging or whatever.

The headphone should be portable. Again, they're going everywhere with me. School, walks, room, car, everywhere!

And lastly, the headphones should be good-looking. Now, I'm happy with both of the mentioned headphones looks, though I slightly like the SRH750 better. But keep in mind, while all the other criteria's are about equal in value, the look of them is below all the other criteria's.

So that's what I need! Which headphones would work best for me? :D Thank you guys!!

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
Criteria:

The headphones need to be durable. Very durable. They will be with me everywhere! At school, in my silent room, out on my walks through nature, while running around, on car rides, on my way home from school, you name it! These arent going to be my "studio headphones" or "room headphones" or "gaming headphones", these are going to be my "LIFE headphones"! And they should be extremely durable as such!

Sony MDR-V6s are built like tanks. They are studio monitors, and as such, they are built to withstand lots of abuse. They even come with a carrying bag. They are pretty comfortable, too. I really do enjoy mine, but you'll quickly find the V6s to be a polarizing headphone on the forums. There are people who think they are the best ever and others who think they are the worst. I can't compare them with the Shures since I've never heard those. 
What kind of sound signature do you like? 

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 8
Sound signature? Neutral with a touch to the warmer side.

Super high-pitched sound signatures irritate the crap out of me.
Mid-oriented pitched sound signatures are regarded as more neutral, and as long as the sound signature specializes in mid without making the bass and treble sound like crap, I like em.
Super bassy sound signatures like the Sony XB-line make everything sound so muddy and unclear. I'd rather have this over super high treble, but really. Please no.

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 8
That might immediately preclude you from getting the V6s, then. V6s are very bright. Cold and analytical. The higher frequencies drive people like yourself nuts on these. I actually like it. V6s have a repressed mid-range as well. V6s are common in guitar stores. See if you can find one and demo them.

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #6 of 8
Well I heard these were very neutral with a bit of bass and treble at the same time. I dont mind bright headphones at all! I actually own Giiq's (backup) and there is hardly any bass on them, and a lot of it is treble, and I do like it.

Now- that may sound contradicting, but I like neutral. Lots of bright, lots of mid, and just a TOUCH of warmth. Let me break this down for you as it seemed I didnt explain it properly.

The sound signature I like:

40% Mid-range, 35% Treble, 25% Bass. That's probably a bit more specific than "neutral + bit of warmth"

Completely neutral has a lot of mid emphasis which is why I added the "touch of warmth" to signify I dont want only mids and treble, but I did want neutrality as moreso than bass.

It's not that I dont like very bright headphones, it's that i hate headphones that are more like, 10% Mid, 10% bass, 80% Treble. I hate those. Incredibly imbalanced. I have heard a pair like these.

Edit: Also, analytical is what I want.

Double Edit: Now that I think about it, my E6 could also add that extra warmth I want. Keep in mind, the best headphones I've ever owned were the Panasonic DJ-RPS400s... Definetely far from perfect, and also far from analytical, which is what I want. Most headphones will be a welcome upgrade over these.

I guess in the end I just want the best quality i can get with the bass just being nicely present. If the V6's have everything except the basses arent overpowering, I'm fine with them as long as the bass is still quite present and the treble isnt overpowering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back