SONY MDR-V6 VS MDR-7509HD
Nov 21, 2010 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

selphy

100+ Head-Fier
I have already MDR-V6 fake and I want buy original 7509hd or v6
Which is better ? Is it a big difference between that models ?
New V6 cost about 70$, 7509HD about 180$ 

Nov 21, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 4
Hi selphy - I've owned a pair of MDR-7509HD for a few years and only really liked them, despite trying many amplifiers, connected to a LD MK III: otherwise they have a weird loud hollow honking midrange, are missing deepest bass and project a strange unfocused soundstage where it is hard to locate sounds. The high frequencies are too muted compared to the mids which results in a consistently unsatisfying experience. On most amps they are so extremely efficient that you are listening at the beginning of your volume control where one often has issues and therefore you tend to turn it up to balance the channels and also to find that missing deepest bass and highest treble and then that midrange just slaughters your ears. I had months of tinnitus after mixing with these after first purchasing. Some people love them, however, and you can find rave reviews. Interestingly, they were super sensitive to the sounds of different tubes in the LD MK III. Using a couple of Sylvania tubes I did obtain a sound for a while that was very very real with a pronounced 3D effect especially on jazz with piano and female vocals: Ella, Diana Krall. Also, they can reproduce piano quite nicely. I think they need the tubes. Now I reach for Beyerdynamics DT-150 or DT-48 when I listen on solid state but I keep the Sony's for the LD MK III. Would not buy them again. 

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 4

Glad I read your comments before purchasing! I was thinking of these for a long while to use in my home studio, but I'll stick to the k240DF for now, though they're missing some lower bass. The dt48 on my set up I found to be even lighter in the bass.  FWIW, I read that a lot of folks preferred the non-HD 7509, which is discontinued. the Beyer dt250 is another good option for the OP if he needs closed phones..
Quote:
Hi selphy - I've owned a pair of MDR-7509HD for a few years and only really liked them, despite trying many amplifiers, connected to a LD MK III: otherwise they have a weird loud hollow honking midrange, are missing deepest bass and project a strange unfocused soundstage where it is hard to locate sounds. The high frequencies are too muted compared to the mids which results in a consistently unsatisfying experience. On most amps they are so extremely efficient that you are listening at the beginning of your volume control where one often has issues and therefore you tend to turn it up to balance the channels and also to find that missing deepest bass and highest treble and then that midrange just slaughters your ears. I had months of tinnitus after mixing with these after first purchasing. Some people love them, however, and you can find rave reviews. Interestingly, they were super sensitive to the sounds of different tubes in the LD MK III. Using a couple of Sylvania tubes I did obtain a sound for a while that was very very real with a pronounced 3D effect especially on jazz with piano and female vocals: Ella, Diana Krall. Also, they can reproduce piano quite nicely. I think they need the tubes. Now I reach for Beyerdynamics DT-150 or DT-48 when I listen on solid state but I keep the Sony's for the LD MK III. Would not buy them again. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back