Sony MDR-V6 versus. Grado SR 60/80
Dec 28, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #16 of 23
The simpliest answer is that the RP-21s have better bass and better clarity than either of the other two. Don't get me wrong, both the Sony's and the Grado's are fine headphones, well worth the money. The RP-21 is very neutral across the spectrum and has more ability to pick up subtle detail in the recording than either the Sony or the Grado. It gives you very clear and defined bass, but also powerful bass, excellent mids, clear and extended treble that is not artificially bright, but is very crisp when the music calls for it. In my opinion this headphone is one of the true bargains in quality headphones, especially when you can find them for $99 which is possible. I've heard much more expensive headphones that didn't have the clarity or neutrality of the RP-21. They are also a closed phone so you can play them loud without disturbing other people.
I know I didn't go into much detail about the sound of either the Sony or the Grado, you should be able to find detailed reviews of them elsewhere, but what I'm trying to convey is that I think the RP-21 is superior in every way to both and at a very affordable price. When I bought the pair I have I was truly shocked at the quality and continue to be extremely impressed by the sound they give. Also, they are very easy to drive with portable amps and actually sound quite decent straight out of an IPOD too, although they will reveal the limitations of the IPOD's internal amp as far as subtlety and detail and soundstage go.

Dec 28, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #17 of 23
I like the SR60's for rock and metal, for the genres you described the sennheisers or the sony will probably be better.

Dec 28, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #18 of 23
Great, thank yo uso much for that review of the Equation RP-21. I am really going to consider them now. Especially since you've owned both the Equation RP-21 and the Grado SR-60 - i think your opinion is validated. Thanks Vorlon 1.

Dec 28, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #19 of 23
I guess a big question that I should ask is... How do the Grado SR-80's perform with hip hop and mainstream pop music? I listen to those two genres the most. As well as Trance and techno. I actually dont listen to rock or metal at all.

Dec 28, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #20 of 23
I, personally, think they're great. They have that extra bass kick that hits you. I don't listen to hip hop, but I have some trance/techo. They don't quite have the thump thump of closed cans, but they more than make up for it in detail on the top end...usually where the synthesizers/vocals are.

Dec 29, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #22 of 23
If i considered myself to only listen to two genres: HIP HOP AND POP. Which of these headphones would you recommend?

Equation RP-21
SR-80
SR-60
Alessandro MS-1
Sennheiser HD555

The thing I'd like to mention is that I DO NOT listen to Metal, Rock, Jazz, Classical on a day to day basis and I think this may affect my choice for the GRADOS. (unless someone can tell me otherwise). I have a strong impression that the Grados shine best for Rock / Metal music. It seems that a lot of members here are serious audiophiles who listen to mostly Rock, Metal, Classical, and Jazz. I am just the typical guy who listens to mainstream music but would really enjoy a nice pair of headphones that will sound GREAT. (A good indicator of what my ear perceives great is the SONY MDR-V6)

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. But Basically, what i enjoyed was the sound from the sony mdr-v6 with the hip hop and pop songs i played.

Ive been doing alot of reading in this forum and I have been under the impression that the Grado SR-80 is only really good for Rock and Metal, i havent heard anyone talk about listening to Hip Hop or a Pop song with the Grados. This is really making me hesitate on buying them. I want a headphone that sounds VERY SIMILAR to the Sony MDR-v6, but just BETTER. If you have heard the Sony MDR-V6 personally, please let me know which headphone would be in the right direction.

Will the Grado SR-80 perform better as far as BASS in hip hop music compared against the Sony MDR-v6? I just want to guarantee myself that when i purchase the grado sr-80, it is an UPGRADE from the sony mdr-v6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back