Sony MDR-V6 / V7
Apr 8, 2008 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Seagull5

New Head-Fier
First of all, hello to everyone on this forum (it's my first post)!

Some time ago I borrowed my grandfathers' Sony MDR-V7 headset. I was really confident with it: games, music and movies all sounded astonishing. Unfortunately, one of the plastic parts of the headset broke, so one of the earbuds is attached to the rest of the headset with nothing more than a tiny bit of wire. A couple of hours back I went out to buy a new headset, and I ended up with the Philips SHP2000. It really disappointed me, it's not nearly as good as the Sony. The problem, and the reason I didn't buy a new one immediately, with the MDR-V7, however, is that it's old, and therefore unfindable. By doing a little bit of research on the web, I stumbled upon the MDR-V6, which looks pretty similar to the V7, the only problem is that it's available only on US eBay, so given my location (Netherlands) buying one will be an expensive affair.

So, now I have two questions I'd like to ask to you:
1) How does the MDR-V6 differ from the MDR-V7?
2) Are there any places besides eBay where I can find one?

Any help would be appreciated!

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seagull5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all, hello to everyone on this forum (it's my first post)!

So, now I have two questions I'd like to ask to you:
1) How does the MDR-V6 differ from the MDR-V7?
2) Are there any places besides eBay where I can find one?

Any help would be appreciated!

Can't answer your first question, but the V6 is available on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones with CCAW Voice Coil: Electronics

My understanding is that the "7506" model is basically the same as the V6, so you can also see if you can find those locally. The V6/7506 are mostly well regarded around here.

Oh, and welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 13
I'm not familiar with the V7, but I do own the MDR-7506, which is (arguably) the same headphone as the V6. And you can purchase that headphone through just about any pro-audio dealer. They're one of the industry standards in audio and video production. Personally I would say just get the 7506, as its widely available.

Apr 8, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 13
Get something better..... The Beyerdynamic DT 770 blow those away, I've had both. For $58 bucks more you'll get better bass and better midrange.

And, more comfort.

Or for similar money, get the Audio Technica AHT-Ad700...I think that's the closed ones.

Apr 8, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 13
Sony will have spare parts for those ehapdhones, try to get them and fix that old hedphones instead...the V6 is really sturdy...

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 13
I dare you to try anything but the Sony's.... I sold my 7506 after 2 days of ear pain. They didn't go over my ears like alot of people said. NEXT.....

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaproject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dare you to try anything but the Sony's.... I sold my 7506 after 2 days of ear pain. They didn't go over my ears like alot of people said. NEXT.....

I agree with you on that. At first my ears were really sore after I used the V7 for around 2 hours, but loosening it up a little bit seemed to solve that problem.

Anyway, thanks for your help so far, I will try contacting the Dutch branch of Sony to see if they have spare parts for my headset, and if they don't I think I'm going to buy one of those fancy V6's on Amazon.

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #10 of 13
Is what I was saying though, try something else and you'll be surprised at the improvement.

Like the Beyerdynamic DT 770's for instance.

Apr 9, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #11 of 13
I loved my V6's. Put some velour pads on the ears to replace the stock pads, and viola ! Comfort heaven. The sound is neutral (with a bit of predominance from the high end until broken in) compared to the Beyer's mentioned here.

Plus.. Don't the DT770's need to be amped, ideally ? The V6's need no amplification to sound great.

Apr 17, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #12 of 13
The V6's aren't a bad set of headphones. I recommend not listening to anything better so you think they are the best, like I do! These are going to hold me until I can get a Beyer DT770 and amp. I found these V6's for $40 on ebay and they work perfect. Play around with the EQ to get your desired result, though I will admit that the low's aren't quite good enough for me.

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

How does the MDR-V6 differ from the MDR-V7?

IIRC, the V7 has "diamond evaporated" diaphragms, or some odd driver difference from the V6. I don't know about enclosure differences though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back