Sony MDR-V6 Questions.
Jul 26, 2013 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Wes556

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone this is my first post and i would like ask a few questions about the Sony MDR-V6 headphones before I decide to buy them. 

First, I was wondering how much sound these headphones leak at a reasonable volume.
this is always a concern when it comes to headphones because I don't really want other people in the room to hear what i'm listening to.

Second, how is the build quality I have heard many stories about these headphones being built like a tank, but I have also heard that the headphones are rather cheaply built and fall apart quickly. 

those are my two major concerns with these headphones. On a slightly random note are there other headphones any of you would recommend instead of the MDR-V6.  

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Hello Everyone this is my first post and i would like ask a few questions about the Sony MDR-V6 headphones before I decide to buy them. 
First, I was wondering how much sound these headphones leak at a reasonable volume.
this is always a concern when it comes to headphones because I don't really want other people in the room to hear what I'm listening to.
Second, how is the build quality I have heard many stories about these headphones being built like a tank, but I have also heard that the headphones are rather cheaply built and fall apart quickly. 
Those are my two major concerns with these headphones. On a slightly random note are there other headphones any of you would recommend instead of the MDR-V6.  

I would think you could find a volume level with the MDR-V6s that you can easily hear and have people around you not being "bothered".
I think the MDR-V6 is built decently well.

I would recommend you buy used MDR-V6s, if the pads are worn out the price for the MDR-V6 should be low (I paid $48 for my used pair).
Then get the Beyerdynamic EDT 200/250 Velour ear pads for them ($23).

I do like my JVC HA-S500-Z (Gunmetal Gray) headphones better (audio quality wise) then the MDR-V6s.
And the HA-S500s fold up a little smaller and the straight cord is easier to wrap around the headphones (S500s), compared the the MDR-V6's coiled cable.
Also you can get difference ear pads (Velour or leather) for the S500 for around $16, on eBay.

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 5
I have used a pair for several years and agree with "built like a tank". The only quality problem is that the pads deteriorate rapidly, so I second the recommendation for the velour pads. They clamp tight and as a result, the sound isolation is really good.

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 5
V6's have been around since the '80s - there's a reason.  Ditto on the other comments about the velour pads - should be bought with the Sony's and replaced as soon as you pull them out of the box.  B&H Photo sells the velour pads as a standard accessory to the V6.  Amazon has them, too.  They used to be "Pearstone," but now they seem to be "Auray" brand.  I kind of preferred the Pearstone/Auray to the Beyers.  The Beyers are slightly larger and at least when I purchased them (it's been a number of years), they didn't come with a foam liner that's needed to protect the surface of the drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back