Sony MDR-V6 or Superlux HD668B
Apr 13, 2013 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

AnarchistFish

Head-Fier
I've searched and there are a couple of old threads which compare these two but I wanted to be certain regarding what I'm personally looking for.

I'm looking mostly for a strong build quality (the whole point of me looking for a set of full sized headphones is that I'm sick of my in-ears constantly breaking after a few months) and high sound quality across all ranges for all genres of music. So beef with hardcore, rock, etc but clarity and atmosphere with post rock, dubstep, dark ambient, UK garage and so on. Portability is a secondary priority (the Sonys can fold up, which is a plus, but their long cable might be an issue), as is isolation (which the Sonys also seem to be better at) although preventing leakage is more important than blocking out outside noise and a little of both isn't too much of a problem. I'd rather not have to get an amp on top (I was also looking into the Audio-Technica ATH M50s but their high price tag and higher amp requirement put me off) and I'd generally only use them through my iPod Classic and PC for music listening. The Superluxes are currently only £30 from Amazon, with the Sonys at £60, and as far as I can tell they aren't available at any major electronic retailers I can access to test them myself.

Up until now I've been using JVC HA-FXT90 IEMs.

I guess it comes down to whether the higher (supposed) sound quality of the Superluxes is large enough to make up for the Sonys better build quality, better isolation and lower requirement for an amp. And whether the sound quality of the Superluxes is actually superior without an amp. In this situation, which would you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back