SONY MDR V6 or 7506????????????
Nov 15, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #31 of 43
i bought my v6 about... 11 or 12 years ago and still have 'em. i've seen messages about the bass response as being better than the sennheiser 497's. i recently picked up a set of the 497's, but it seems there is more bass in the senn's. has there been any fundamental changes in the v6's for the past decade? anyone?

Nov 15, 2002 at 10:08 PM Post #32 of 43
Many 'phones have "more" bass than the MDR-V6!!! The strength of the V6 isn't that they have "more" bass, which one can get simply by using equalization (if that's your cup of tea). The V6 excels in bass EXTENSION. And the V6 (as can be proven with tones generated in a program such as Cool Edit) goes from a half-octave to a full octave, or more deeper than the vast majority of headphones.

MOST headphones roll-off steeply below 40hz, or even 50hz. The MDR-V6 simply does not!

Want "more bass", make 'phones with a "hump" in their response in the 80-200hz region, such as the MDR-V600 and too many others to mention. But this kind of bass hump actually clouds your ability to hear what's going on in the REAL "bass"-ment. REAL bass lives in the octave below 40hz...the range where most 'phones are d.o.a.!

The MDR-V6 is definitely not a "dumb-bass" headphone. Almost every headphone I own has "more" bass. NONE have BETTER bass!

Nov 15, 2002 at 10:18 PM Post #33 of 43
thanks, mike. i haven't really spent too much time listening critically with my headphones. most of my equipment consists of mass-consumer components. i'll give the both of them a longer listen this weekend.

Nov 15, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #34 of 43
I have to agree with your comments on the V6's bass. However, I've always been rather annoyed with it's coarse treble. I also think the Ixos MOS DJ1001 has just as extended and a more tuneful low end, but without the V6's high end problems. Just my 2 cents. It does cost twice as much, though.

Nov 15, 2002 at 10:29 PM Post #35 of 43
After plugging in the new V6's to break them in I noticed one rather annoying characteristic of the headphone jack it came with: whenever I touch it or flick it it transmits the sound thru the headphones, amplified!!!

Has anyone else experienced this issue/problem?? I don't particularly like it, but since their not mine, maybe the wife won't notice!!!
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2002 at 11:16 PM Post #36 of 43
I've never had that problem with the V6s. Try another headphone jack... I'm guessing it's a problem with whatever headphone jack you are using.
smily_headphones1.gif
The V6s have a way of letting you know about problems in recordings and equipment.

Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
After plugging in the new V6's to break them in I noticed one rather annoying characteristic of the headphone jack it came with: whenever I touch it or flick it it transmits the sound thru the headphones, amplified!!!

Has anyone else experienced this issue/problem?? I don't particularly like it, but since their not mine, maybe the wife won't notice!!!
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2002 at 11:19 PM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Steve999
I've never had that problem with the V6s. Try another headphone jack... I'm guessing it's a problem with whatever headphone jack you are using.
smily_headphones1.gif
The V6s have a way of letting you know about problems in recordings and equipment.

Thanks Steve, I'll see if my Senn's do the same thing. If not.... oh well!!!

Nov 16, 2002 at 1:13 AM Post #38 of 43
For what it's worth, the MDR-V6/7506 DOES have a problem with static electicity. I used to do a morning radio show in a carpeted studio, and at least three times per morning I would hear a "pop", and receive a shock on my left earlobe! To solve the problem, I thoroughly sprayed the carpet, and chair with anti-static spray.

Others with the MDR-V6/7506 have reported the same "problem", though it has never happened in MY studio, which is also carpeted. Go configure!

As for the lack of "tuneful" bass on the V6, I'd LOVE to hear a scientific explanation of what constitutes "tunefulness"! Not to be too critical, or put too fine a point on it, but it's one of those subjectivist "audiophile" terms like "pace" and "rhythm" which in fact have NO meaning, but make one feel knowledgable to say! I've always found "pace" to be particularly silly, since musically "pace" DOES have a meaning...beats per minute, which isn't subjective at all. It can be measured, and counted. Count the beats per minute (playing the same song) with the component you consider to have the worst "pace", and the one which you consider to have the best. I guarantee exactly the same number of beats will have occured in any given time, proving that PACE (again, a term which actually has meaning!) hasn't been affected in the least. Might I suggest "punchiness" or "clarity" as better subjective terms than "tunefulness" or (for God's sake), PACE!!!!???

I'm not aware of ANY headphone which exceeds the V6's bass extension. Again, bass extension IS NOT SUBJECTIVE! It can be demonstrated (with test tones), and even measured (with far more accuracy than can midrange and high frequency response). Generate tones at 10hz intervals backward from 100hz to 20hz using Cool Edit 2000, then LISTEN to them through the V6, and through any 'phones which you suspect may have superior extension (uh, excuse me..."TUNEFULNESS"...tee hee
evil_smiley.gif
) and prove it TO YOURSELF that NOTHING beats the v6 for bass extension! Especially compare the tones between 40hz and 20hz on the V6 and your "tuneful" 'phones. If your 'phones don't roll off before the V6, I'll eat 'em!

Sorry to get on my soapbox, but so much audiophile lingo is simply, er, organic fertilizer, created by those who snoozed through science class!

Nov 16, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #39 of 43
Maybe it's static, Ecuador.. looks like I may have been wrong, a not uncommon occurrence.
rolleyes.gif

Mike... I think tunefulness in the bass at it's best is a not-too-excessive low-to-mid bass hump.. it sounds punchy. I was comparing my HD 497s to my V6s recently. HD 497s.. punchy. V6s.... WHOA! How LOW can you GO! I think the V6s are more unusual and exceptional in this regard, and the true low-bass sound really catches my attention much more than punchy bass.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Walker
For what it's worth, the MDR-V6/7506 DOES have a problem with static electicity.

As for the lack of "tuneful" bass on the V6, I'd LOVE to hear a scientific explanation of what constitutes "tunefulness"! Not to be too critical, or put too fine a point on it, but it's one of those subjectivist "audiophile" terms like "pace" and "rhythm" which in fact have NO meaning, but make one feel knowledgable to say!

I'm not aware of ANY headphone which exceeds the V6's bass extension.

Nov 16, 2002 at 8:17 AM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

MOST headphones roll-off steeply below 40hz, or even 50hz. The MDR-V6 simply does not!

Too early to tell in any other frequency range, but I must concur here with Mike. These things rock. I just A/B them against my Senn 600s and it wasn't even close. These things were tight and DEEP. I am listening to Bass Mekanik's Quad Maximus. Track 2 contains bass notes in teh sustained 30,40, and 50hz range!!! I am sure my wife will like them, and when she's asleep and I want to simply rock out with some deep bass, I'll borrow these cans for a while!!!!

Nov 16, 2002 at 6:18 PM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Many 'phones have "more" bass than the MDR-V6!!! The strength of the V6 isn't that they have "more" bass, which one can get simply by using equalization (if that's your cup of tea). The V6 excels in bass EXTENSION. And the V6 (as can be proven with tones generated in a program such as Cool Edit) goes from a half-octave to a full octave, or more deeper than the vast majority of headphones.

Want "more bass", make 'phones with a "hump" in their response in the 80-200hz region, such as the MDR-V600 and too many others to mention. But this kind of bass hump actually clouds your ability to hear what's going on in the REAL "bass"-ment. REAL bass lives in the octave below 40hz...the range where most 'phones are d.o.a.!

The MDR-V6 is definitely not a "dumb-bass" headphone. Almost every headphone I own has "more" bass. NONE have BETTER bass!

Mike Walker,

I wholeheartedly agree with you here, too!
biggrin.gif

And take a look at some of my latest posts in this thread:

"Louder" sound ain't always "Better" sound!

[size=xx-small]BTW, the thread was titled "GRRR! I'm sick of crappy Sony Quality! I need a NEW PCDP!!"[/size]

Nov 16, 2002 at 8:51 PM Post #42 of 43
I agree with Mike, of course -- but then again I always have with regard to the the V6/7506 and the accuracy of its bass reproduction.

I wonder what MacDEF thinks about Mike's remarks. (I'm just curious, BTW. I'm not presuming to know what he thinks.)

Nov 17, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #43 of 43
I got my V6s from djmart. I'm using em right now. I don't see why I'd ever want a different pair. I love them. They're very comfortable for me, even with the stock pads (but I am getting the velour pads for Christmas). The bass is great. I just now have started to appreciate it since iRiver released its latest firmware upgrade with the Metal preset. It really brings the bass out in Nine Inch Nails and now I can't listen to it on Winamp since I can't get it to sound as good
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back