Sony MDR-V6 for video games?
Aug 1, 2012 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

farhan

New Head-Fier
Hello! I just bought the Sony MDR-V6 from Amazon and from the hundreds of great reviews it's gotten, I am sure I will enjoy these. ( I've grown out of the kiddie headphones like Skullcandy and Beats :p ) but anyway, I look forward to listening to music the way artists intended their tracks to sound, and not with some muddled fake bass boost. I'm not worried with this purchase, but how are these headphones for video games? I play on Xbox 360 and PS3 and I haven't really read any reviews online on these for video games. Any of you headphone gurus want to help me out with this? Thanks!

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 10
If your going to use your headphones for use on your consoles, you should buy some cables/adapters instead of plugging your headphones into your TV.

1. Original PS3/360 A/V Cables
  2. 3.5mm to RCA Stereo Female Cable

From there, you have two options.

I personally use the Fiio E6 over the Stereo Coupler, because you have the advantage of changing the volume, while you can't do that with the Stereo Coupler.

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
If your going to use your headphones for use on your consoles, you should buy some cables/adapters instead of plugging your headphones into your TV.

1. Original PS3/360 A/V Cables
  2. 3.5mm to RCA Stereo Female Cable

From there, you have two options.

I personally use the Fiio E6 over the Stereo Coupler, because you have the advantage of changing the volume, while you can't do that with the Stereo Coupler.

I see. Thanks for your detailed response. The way I have it set up is I have an HDMI going from the 360 to a Samsung S23B550 23" HDMI LED monitor and from the monitor the sound is going through Fiio E5 headphone amp to the headphones. How does this set up compare to what you suggest? I won't be able to use the original AV because I already have the HDMI plugged in for the display and that does not leave enough space to fit the AV cable.

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 10
Maybe you should try getting a HDMI Cable that doesn't protrude so much?

Ideally, you would have video going to the monitor via HDMI and sound going to your E5 via A/V Cables via Adapter.

I think it's kinda pointless to use the E5 if the source is the monitor since (I assume) you can use the monitor to change the volume.

Here's how my PS3 is set up:

Video: PS3 > HDMI > TV

Audio: PS3 > A/V Cable > RCA Female to 3.5 Male Adapter > Fiio E6 > Headphones

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 10
Alrighty, I shall look for an HDMI cable whose ends aren't as thick as the ones I have.

Assuming I set it up properly, how do these headphones sound for gaming? What do you play and how do you like em'? I play Mass Effect mostly, so theres quiet a bit of shooting and explosions.

EDIT: Oh, and the reason why I had the E5 is because changing the volume on the monitor is a pain (because it requires you to go though a menu), the volume wheel on the E5 is much easier to deal with. Also, the HDMI+AV cable won't fit on the 360 together regardless of how thick or thin the HDMI is. The AV cable of the 360 is thick enough to cover up much of the HDMI port.
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 10
Try getting this?

Read the first product review for it, I think it'll be helpful for your situation.

Anyway, I don't actually have the V6, so I can't give you my opinion on it. 

But in my opinion, since the V6 sound flat, I don't think they sound good for gaming as compared to listening to music. Try using the EQ settings on your E5.

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

I see. Thanks for your detailed response. The way I have it set up is I have an HDMI going from the 360 to a Samsung S23B550 23" HDMI LED monitor and from the monitor the sound is going through Fiio E5 headphone amp to the headphones. How does this set up compare to what you suggest? I won't be able to use the original AV because I already have the HDMI plugged in for the display and that does not leave enough space to fit the AV cable.

Maybe optical cable from the PS3 to something like the Turtle Beach DSS (low cost used ones on eBay).

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 10
You might want to get the Fiio E17 (or Fiio E7) over the Turtle Beach DDS.

Fiio E17/E7 is a Portable Amp and DAC so you'd be able to use it with other devices other than your Xbox.

The Turtle Beach DDS(2) is USB Powered (no battery life) but it's probably optimized for gaming, so it's up to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back