Sony MDR-V6... for.. digital! !@#$%^@#$
Jul 31, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #16 of 24
well if they're for analog, why put a for digital sticker on it then? Its all about getting soemethign for your needs, why buy headpones for digital, if you might use analog... huh?

Also I didnt' try them when they were for digital, I only tried them after I made them for analog, so I can't say they would have worked with an analog signal. I just don't know that. But why make them for digital in the first place, that Is what I question.

Jul 31, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap
Is this guy for real or is this a joke? I thought everyone knew the "for digital" sticker was marketing. I'm not sure if he's just messing around or being serious since he said removing the sticker nolonger made it for digital...
eek.gif

Well, clearly plastic has certain resonating properties, and the sticker is a special foil blend designed to properly correct any inconsistancies within the digital audio format. It was clearly placed in a specific point on the back of the headphone for a reason. I suspect that the 1s and 0s congregate at this precise location due to an instability left over from the molding process.

Jul 31, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #18 of 24
Sony installs rootkits in all the "for digital" stickers stikum, since you peeled it off its burrowed in your finger tips and now mercilessly attacking your immune system. the only way to defeat it is to smoke obscene amounts of pot and drink a bottle of Robitussin, otherwise you will be a Sony Bot in short time.

Jul 31, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by GirgleMirt
well if they're for analog, why put a for digital sticker on it then? Its all about getting soemethign for your needs, why buy headpones for digital, if you might use analog... huh?

Also I didnt' try them when they were for digital, I only tried them after I made them for analog, so I can't say they would have worked with an analog signal. I just don't know that. But why make them for digital in the first place, that Is what I question.

They just say that. There is no difference. All headphones are going to reproduce analog sound. Nobody wants to listen to a modem. I also highly doubt that analog is superior to digital. Digital is much closer to the original than analog, IMO.

Jul 31, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Well, I removed the sticker, and now that they're not headphones for Digital, not only do they look much better, but I must say that they also look better without it! And now that they're not for digital anymore, I've decided to keep them.

Well, you've just performed the famous MDR-V6 "analog mod". I just hope to hell you were wearing isolators while you did it...

Jul 31, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
But a DAC converts digital to analog. No headphone takes and plays a digital signal, or any speaker. It is always converted to analog. So really, even the D1000 is not "digital". And I bet the DAC in that headphone is pretty crappy.

I dunno.. my headphones actually speak the words 'one' and 'zero' at the input Fs.. sometimes its hard to hear the words but you can tell its there..
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

...now that they're not headphones for Digital, not only do they look much better, but I must say that they also look better without it!

Hooray redundancy!

Jul 31, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by glasscain
I dunno.. my headphones actually speak the words 'one' and 'zero' at the input Fs.. sometimes its hard to hear the words but you can tell its there..
smily_headphones1.gif

oneonezeroonezerooneonezeroonezerozerozeroone

Mmmm. Beautiful.

Jul 31, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

All funnies aside, it's interesting that these headphones debuted with the advent of the CD player. At that time a ton of products were re-introduced to the consumer market as "Digital Ready" or "Digital Capable" and it was nothing more than a marketing "breakthrough."

Sony has never bothered to remove the "For Digital" sticker which was part of their marketing breakthrough from over 25 years ago. Fascinating part of audio history... The fact that it's there at all is nothing more than laziness, inattention, or nostalgia on Sony's part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back