Sony MDR-V6 and 7506 Owners of both: Can you hear a difference?
Jul 7, 2015 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

audiowatts

100+ Head-Fier
An old discussion but the curiosity was still in me so I gave both hours and hours or fair listening time using the same source. I noticed the V6 slightly warms up the brighter mids coming from the 7506 for longer music listening enjoyment. IMHO this is what makes the V6 the better choice between the two for that purpose alone.

Any other feedback from owners of both?

Jul 7, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 8
I don't own both, but have owned the V6 for over 25 years.. I read articles that stated that the only differences between them is a stronger magnet in the 7506, a gold plated plug on the 7506, and a longer warranty. The articles claimed the stronger magnet in the 7506 is what makes it slightly brighter than the V6. 

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 8
Both are great headphones, and great values.
Both are quite perceptibly flat, despite what graphs may imply.
7506 is less bass presence, more vocals.
V6 is more bass, and more balance across the entire spectrum.
Both have slightly harsh treble with stock pleather pads.

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 8
  Both are great headphones, and great values.
Both are quite perceptibly flat, despite what graphs may imply.
7506 is less bass presence, more vocals.
V6 is more bass, and more balance across the entire spectrum.
Both have slightly harsh treble with stock pleather pads.

Do you have a preference to either one and if so, for what specific uses?

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 8

Do you have a preference to either one and if so, for what specific uses?

7506 are best for the vocalist when recording vocals.
Or for some vocal work by the engineer.
Or for someone who wants vocal-forward closed-back, sonically bright-neutral-flat phones.

V6 are better for someone who wants a more bass than the 7506, and overall a more balanced, closed back phone, who also doesnt mind strong mids and treble.
If you want to slightly tame the treble on either, and gain some slight soundstage, add DT250 pads.
I'd love to hear both with the HM5 pads as well, as others have modded them with.

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 8
beerchug.gif

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 8
I just got a Sony MDR-V6. Owned the MDR-7506 for months. The V6 basically sounds like a slightly better 7506. Not as bright and harsh, though there is still high frequency distortion. The overall sound is a bit more authoritative, probably due to stronger bass and lower mids. Since it's not as forward and dramatic, and the detail isn't thrown in your face as much as with the 7506, I can't tell if the V6 has more or less resolution, but it's definitely easier to listen to. I suppose you could say it's more refined. But bright recordings still sound wayyy too bright on these. As long as there aren't those type of frequencies in the music, it's a pretty good headphone. And of course, I'm sure it would sound better with EQ. The 7506 improved dramatically with the Sonarworks Reference 3 Headphone preset. I probably won't bother swapping pads, but it is interesting that the very comfortable HM5 pads are compatible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back