Sony MDR V55 vs. Monster Inspiration for mixing EDM?
Jul 1, 2013 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ElectriKip

New Head-Fier
I'm getting one of these pairs of headphones for free as my entry level headphones.

I don't want to end up getting them just to sell them afterwards to in turn use the money for "better" headphones. As I know there're definitely better ones. So please don't suggest that. Instead I'd just love to hear suggestions as to which of these headphones would benefit me the most for my purposes. Would the Sonys be best, seeing as how they're marketed as DJ headphones, or would the Inspirations be better, seeing as how they're much more expensive?

Thanks for any replies. :)

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 6
Honestly id get the monster's, sell them and get a real pair of slightly bass heavy monitoring headphones like Beyer DT770's or KRK 8400's.

You just can't really get a good mix on monster headphones, now I really have no idea about the Sony's so I can't say anything sorry, they might be good idk.

Jul 3, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 6
If you compare those 2, the Sony's would be better. i agree on what ScaryFatKid said, you cant get a decent mix out of the monsters.

What's your budget? I'll give you more suggestions.

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Honestly id get the monster's, sell them and get a real pair of slightly bass heavy monitoring headphones like Beyer DT770's or KRK 8400's.

You just can't really get a good mix on monster headphones, now I really have no idea about the Sony's so I can't say anything sorry, they might be good idk.

I know. I know that makes a lot more sense.. but due to circumstances, selling them afterwards isn't an option. For me, at the moment, it's a "beggars can't be choosers" kind of situation. Gotta pick one or the other. But I'll keep in mind that you don't think the Inspirations aren't good for mixing. Thanks for the reply.
Quote:
If you compare those 2, the Sony's would be better. i agree on what ScaryFatKid said, you cant get a decent mix out of the monsters.

What's your budget? I'll give you more suggestions.

Cool. Thanks for the reply. It's not really "my" budget, someone else is getting these for me as a gift. They're pretty set on getting those headphones only, and they'd get pissed off if I were to sell them, so..
Yup. Anyway one day I'll be sure to get really good headphones. Ones that'll truly benefit me. Ones like the Sennheiser 650s or whatever. Maybe one of the Beyerdynamics. Or something from AKG. It's disappointing that I can't get one of those immediately, but I'll live until then. I've been producing music with a crappy $20 second-hand headset for the longest time so I'm sure with either of these not-the-best headphones I'll at least be happy by comparison alone.

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
I know. I know that makes a lot more sense.. but due to circumstances, selling them afterwards isn't an option. For me, at the moment, it's a "beggars can't be choosers" kind of situation. Gotta pick one or the other. But I'll keep in mind that you don't think the Inspirations aren't good for mixing. Thanks for the reply.
Cool. Thanks for the reply. It's not really "my" budget, someone else is getting these for me as a gift. They're pretty set on getting those headphones only, and they'd get pissed off if I were to sell them, so..
Yup. Anyway one day I'll be sure to get really good headphones. Ones that'll truly benefit me. Ones like the Sennheiser 650s or whatever. Maybe one of the Beyerdynamics. Or something from AKG. It's disappointing that I can't get one of those immediately, but I'll live until then. I've been producing music with a crappy $20 second-hand headset for the longest time so I'm sure with either of these not-the-best headphones I'll at least be happy by comparison alone.

Well, in that case. Go for the Sony's, it'll give you more detail.

Jul 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Ohh I understand, well I wouldn't even use them for mixing then? Just get what ever pair you like better and wear them around town and buy a good mixing pair later, it's not like you can't use them to listen to your mix but I wouldn't get to far into what your working on, on the monster's alone. If you don't have anything "good" to use, use multipule system's, if it sound's good on the sony/monsters and in your car and on a boom box and the crappy $20 headphones and your home theater etc. chances are it will be pretty good.

I wouldn't even use 650's for mixing, maybe the 600's but I like the Shure SRH840 or 940's better or the KRK can's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back