Sony MDR-V150 for portable?
Feb 16, 2005 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

wildebassman

100+ Head-Fier
Just curious, anybody around here using or having experience with the Sony MDR-v150 headphones for portable audio?
confused.gif

Feb 16, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 12
definitely avoid them. try some of Koss' offerings (KSC-75, KSC-35, Portapro) or if not available where you are, try some of the Sennheiser portable stuff (MX400, MX500, MX550, PX100, PX200).

Any of these choices will be way ahead of the Sonys you mentioned. What's your price range, your portable, your type of music?

Feb 16, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 12
biggrin.gif
I do mainly listen to pop-rock kinda music... Budget, let's say $50-60.

Feb 16, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 12
Hello wildebassman,

I agree with appar111. The MDR-V150 is very inefficient - most portable players cannot drive that Sony to even sufficient loudness, let alone its full potential. Moreover, it sounds absolutely wretched for a full-sized headphone; it sounds very muddy even when driven to its full potential because it is basically stock freebie Walkman muff-type headphones in a larger shell.

Feb 16, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 12
The portapro I demo'd sounds MUCH better than my cousins MDRV300.... I can only imagine it'll also outperform the V150.

Garrett

Feb 16, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 12
I had the v250 (pre-h.fi), and IMO the sennheiser mx buds and the ksc-35/75 whoop it to kingdom come.

Feb 16, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 12
I say this with all honesty- the V150 was absolute crap. I bought them to DJ with back in college, and since '94 they were moldering in my closet. When I got my ipod, I took them out and they actually sounded WORSE than the ipod buds lol! And when the MS-1 came, I literally threw them out. In the trash. Didn't even bother ebaying them for 5 bucks.

Folks who come to head-fi for the first time must think we are crazy talking about all these brands like Grado and Alessandro that they've never heard of in their entire life. Then they put one on and realize that they've never heard music sound so great in their entire life. Honestly, there still isn't one Sony that truly wowed me except the R10 (the SA5K was groovin tho) but Grados never disappoint.

Ok, I came off as a fanboy there. Short story = buy new cans. I recommend KSC-35 for portable, or the sporta/porta pro equivalent.

Feb 16, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #8 of 12
biggrin.gif
Thanks folks!! I will get me some Sennheisers px100 tomorrow, these are the ones I can afford now for my portables. Something else, go check out the new american designed Equation rp-20 headphones, they are closed phones, but man.. what a good sound for $69.99 at Studio 34 on Ebay, I burned them in for 80 hours and I think they're great, as a recording bassplayer I have worked and own the AT ATH-M40's but these are much better. Sorry for starting a new subject....
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildebassman
biggrin.gif
Thanks folks!! I will get me some Sennheisers px100 tomorrow, these are the ones I can afford now for my portables. Something else, go check out the new american designed Equation rp-20 headphones, they are closed phones, but man.. what a good sound for $69.99 at Studio 34 on Ebay, I burned them in for 80 hours and I think they're great, as a recording bassplayer I have worked and own the AT ATH-M40's but these are much better. Sorry for starting a new subject....
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks interesting, how would you describe their sound? balanced? bass-heavy?

Garrett

heres the spec sheet...

http://www.equationaudio.com/rp20specs.html

Feb 17, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #11 of 12
Looks interesting, how would you describe their sound? balanced? bass-heavy?

Garrett

Garrett, I'd say they are very balanced, compared to my old sennheiser HD450II's (open phones), they sound more open, much wider musical spectrum, these are the phones I put on when I want to enjoy music.
The RP-20's are also isolated very good. When I first got them they felt a little stiff on my head but after a little bending of the head strap they became very comfy. I'm happy I took the gamble and bought them, I really love these phones, I will also start using them in the studio next week.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #12 of 12
I used to play games with the V150s, absolutely horrible sound quality in every respect. Avoid them at all costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back