Sony MDR V-6 Right for Me?
Dec 5, 2013 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

raymondddli

New Head-Fier
Hello, I've been doing a lot of research in finding the right pair of headphones but I'm struggling to find the right pair.

My budget is around less than $100.

I listen to mainly acoustic guitar, indie rock, and rock, so I guess an all around pair. I want them to produce great sounding vocals whille not having a poor guitar sound. 

I'm looking for them to be closed  while being durable and comfortable, I would prefer for them to be foldable, but I could live without it as I will be mainly using them in my room. 

I thought I singled it down to the Sony MDR V-6's but I was reading around and found out that they aren't very fun sounding earphones and are just good for studio work, which I will not be doing. However, I do appreciate a detailed sound signature, but given what I do listen to, would you recommend these for me? 

Dec 5, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 12
If you want detail, then get the $25 JVC HAS400, or spend some more and order the JVC HAS500 or HAS680 from Japan. The HAS400 has much more detail than the Sony V6. The Sony V6 is extremely sturdy, although the HAS400 also feels sturdy. I recently gave away a 25 year old Sony V6 in perfect working order. The V6 will make your ears very hot, unless you change the earpads with velour ones, which decreases isolation.

Dec 5, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 12
So both of the JVC's would be good for rock? I actually have a pair of the velour pads and was hopefully looking for a pair of headphones to use them on, so that hotness wouldn't be a problem. 

Dec 5, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #4 of 12
Will the velour earpads you have fit the V6? I like the HAS400 better than the V6 even though the V6 is around 4x the price. The HAS400 has so much more detail. The HAS400 is also much easier to drive, while the V6 may not sound at its best with a low powered portable.

Dec 5, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 12
Yea I'm pretty sure they will. Uh I won't be having an amp for these headlines also would they isolate well enough for using on a plane to watch movies. Oh I forgot Yea I need them for plane travel so do these have a big sound stage or is that only possible with open headphones
?
Will the velour earpads you have fit the V6? I like the HAS400 better than the V6 even though the V6 is around 4x the price. The HAS400 has so much more detail. The HAS400 is also much easier to drive, while the V6 may not sound at its best with a low powered portable.

Dec 5, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 12
For airplane use, I suggest using an in the ear isolating earphone(IEM). Most of these will isolate better than most headphones. Changing  the earpads on the Sony V6 to velour ones will greatly decrease the isolation. The isolation on the JVC HAS400 is only mediocre, and unless you change the earpads to velour ones it might also make your ears too hot with extended use. Some people have the hot ears problem with closed headphones much more than others. It makes me very uncomfortable. That is why I now use mostly open headphones, open earphones, or IEMs.

Dec 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for the input. I'll look into these or expand my selection to open ears! I have a pair of Brainwavz M1's but the isolate pretty poorly and I don't want to get a new pair of IEMS. So I guess I'll live with them. 

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 12
Oh, for pplane travel, thats a no no.  The V6 isolates but not that well. All noise cancellers are pretty warm and dark (low volume in higher frequencies, like cymbals etc) so they aren't great for rock, though again, eq can fix this.  I'd go with the Focal Spirit One or the UE6000.  They both isolate extremely well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back