Sony MDR-SA5000's.... (56k safe)
Feb 8, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 66
Awesome pics! SA5000 looks so sexy!
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 66
Thats one sexy set of cans you got there.
evil_smiley.gif

What do you think of their comfort level? The cheese grater on top doesn't look too cushy for someone whos balding, but great for someone with a head full of hair.

Feb 8, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #8 of 66
Welcome to the Team SA5000. You are I think the 5th.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 66
The pictures alone make me want to buy them.

Unfortunately if they sound anything like the qualia is described or the CD3000 I can't imagine myself enjoying the sound.

Feb 8, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 66
well, those pics just confirms that i need that.
but as posed before whats the headband comfort, and initial impressions?

edit, either jjcha or lan whats the open/closed status and isolation factor. if i got these they might be work cans.... or i just loved them too much home cans.

hopefully within the month....

Feb 8, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #12 of 66
I find these really really comfortable. The headband is great, keeps a nice grip on your head. Makes the headphone feel very stable. The pads do kinda clamp on around the ears though, kinda like the HD600/650. Isolation/leakage is about equivalent to your a900s infiskik...maybe a tiny, tiny bit less isolation.

Feb 8, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #13 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
Unfortunately if they sound anything like the qualia is described or the CD3000 I can't imagine myself enjoying the sound.

They sound nothing like the Qualia with the exception of high resolution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soupy
yup, welcome to our small lil team
biggrin.gif

dayam lan, you're almost up to 5k posts

It's lonely... somebody buy these headphones and join us
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by infiskik
whats the open/closed status and isolation factor. if i got these they might be work cans.... or i just loved them too much home cans.

Well coming from K1000s, anything is "closed"
tongue.gif
I don't think anybody can relegate these as work cans as they're very good. Isolation wise, I think it isolates a little. Putting on my V6s, it maybe around the same. I'm not in a high noise environment so I can't truly test this.

Feb 8, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #14 of 66
yep the SA5K dont sound like the CD3K or the Qualia - it has its own flavor. Great resolution too, and best bass in the bottom out of the 3.

Feb 8, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #15 of 66
Yah, I'm missing that bass... and punchy fun of the SA5k. Though I don't think I'll be going back - I hit that sweet spot where the Qualia just sounded right to me. Dunno if it's burn in or acclimatization.

Still, while they sound meaningfully different from the Qualia, I wouldn't say the SA5k are like a totally unrelated headphone. The resolution is one of the defining characteristics I think.

I think the HD600+Cardas sounds pretty darn different from the HD650+Zu, but they're obviously from the same family. I think there's something similar going on, at least for me, between the SA5k/Qualia. This isn't to say the gap is the same, just that there's a different sound, but they're closer to each other than they are different, and they're closer to each other than any other headphone.

Anyway, I think of them like brothers. You know how brothers can be pretty different but clearly from the same family. I don't think I'm gonna call the SA5k the "baby" Qualia anymore.

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back