Sony MDR SA5000 and Music Fidelity X-Cans
Aug 21, 2008 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

subharmonic

100+ Head-Fier
Ok - I've had the SA5000 now for quite some time - and they are excellent cans, if a bit hard to get used to. I'm using them mainly to mix when I compose my computer based music - I got them because in terms of detail, they are superb, but they do have a distinctly strange bottom end. They do really show up poor mixes for what they are, but I also think their portrayal of bottom end is a bit deceptive. As some people have commented on, it is very fast bass but it doesn't seem to hang around long. As such only really bass heavy tracks seem to sound spot on - a good example is Frou Frou - Let go, which is a diverse track with deep and very loud synth bass, as well as some nice orchestralish string parts. This track's bass has always impressed me - especially on my big Tannoy speakers, but it's especially good on the cans -sounds just about right. From the speakers, it's maybe a bit bass heavy (but in a good defined way).

Anyway I digress. I'm looking to get an amp to drive the SA5000 as the amp I'm currently using I doubt is up to the task. In fact it's not a dedicated headphone amp at all. It's an EMU 1820m soundcard set up, which, though decent for writing tunes is maybe not too hot for headphones.
I have been offered a v1 MF X-Cans however, and was wondering whether this would be up to the job of driving the SA5000? Does anyone have any ideas? Also - how much should I be paying for one of these 2nd hand? I'm based in the UK, but approx prices in US dollars would maybe give me an idea too.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any advice....

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back