sony mdr-sa5000 and mdr-1r comparisons???
Jun 5, 2013 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Arzeboj

New Head-Fier
I know that these headphones may have very different sound signature from each other (one being open, the other closed) but sound quality wise can anyone give a comparison review of the two? The sa5000 was once the flagship of sony and the mdr 1r is the current one and i couldnt find a comparison of these two yet. Just out of curiosity :)

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 11
The ma900 is easily much better to my ears in pretty much every way except build/design. The mids are much clearer, and more balanced, the bass is tighter, and well the highs are more natural. Sound stage is also rediculously better. This might have been expected though. I woks definitly pick the ma900.

1r though is very competitive with other closed portables (momentum, Fidelio l1, ws99, m100, etc.)

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #5 of 11
As former owner of both, IMHO, 1R cannot compare to the SA5000 by any means concerning sound quality. It's a different design altogether, remeber. Also, I think MA900 too is quite far in technical perfomance in most areas. It is however closer than the 1R but that doesn't mean that it's a flagship product. Sadly, Sony isn't touting any one definte high-end product in the full-size category these days. I hope they'll be able to recover in the near future and re-compete with the big boys.

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #6 of 11
The MDR-1R, SA5000 and MA900 have clearly different tunings which makes them a little hard to compare. The MA900 is my personal favourite of the 3 and probably the least controversial of the three. The SA5000 is like listening to laser beams, whereas the MDR-1R sounds decent for $200. I wouldn't necessarily say that any one of them was better than the others (though I would never have paid the original retail price for the SA5000) but the MA900 is probably the best overall package. :3

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks guys for all the replies. I have swayed away from sony and I've decided to get a different pair of phones. I've opted to go for the more analitical side and ordered some AKG K550s.

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #10 of 11
Through my research, the K550 seal pretty well. Only for some people it's hard to get a proper seal. Once you can get it to fit well, it will isolate pretty well. This is only based on my research though. I don't have a headphone amp so I got something that doesn't require too much power. 

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #11 of 11
They don't have a bad seal for everyone. If they fit right for you, they're quite amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back