Sony MDR-SA5000... amp recommendations
Nov 17, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 26
I also really enjoy the SA5000s.

I have limited experience with these cans through amps. I have listened to them through a CMOY, PIMETA, and a GS-1. I will say that I am very please with how they sound with the GS-1. Of the solid state amps I have heard, the GS-1 is very fast, and isn't overly bright especially for a SS amp. This pairs well with the SA5ks to my ears.

I would venture a guess that others would probably recommend a m3 as a good SS amp for the SA5ks. Perhaps the tube amp. camp will chime in with suggestions. I am on the fence with ordering a PPX3 SLAM, but it would be a blind (deaf) purchase. I would be curious to hear comments about how the SA5ks sound through a PPX3 SLAM.

Nov 17, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 26
I think it depends on what you are looking to get out of an amp. Do you want to get all the detail and speed you can? If so look into a dynahi or maybe a gs-1. If you are trying to tame the highs a bit and fill in the midrange then you should be looking into a tube amp, I think a PPX3 Slam would be a good option there.

Nov 17, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 26
Another consideration could be the Rudistor rp33, which is also warm and smooth for a solid state amp.

I've used it with the qualia and it matches very well...and it was well received at the recent NY meet.

Nov 17, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 26
Great question... If anything, I feel the bass needs a little love, with my ipod output... it seems the bass is distant. The highs are slightly harsh on cymbols and at higher volumes, its hard to deal with at times. If anything, I want all the detail I can get, and help even out the bass and treble.

Nov 17, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 26
The Dynahi is not the direction you want to go then. The HeadAmp line is smoother with more bottom end weight but not enough to dramatically change the SA5K.

Of the amps I've owned the Rudi RP5.1 would be right up your alley. Going by forum research, the Meier Corda line or SingePower PPX Slam line would also get you there.

Nov 17, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vedder323
Great question... If anything, I feel the bass needs a little love, with my ipod output... it seems the bass is distant. The highs are slightly harsh on cymbols and at higher volumes, its hard to deal with at times. If anything, I want all the detail I can get, and help even out the bass and treble.

The two amps that come to mind then would be an M3 or PPX3 Slam.

Nov 17, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 26
For more bass, see tubes
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 26
second the M3. I think it sounds great with the SA5ks (with the ths4631 chips). I will be getting some ad8065s to test with it in the near future, but so far the ths chips are my preference for speed and musicality.

Nov 18, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
I loved the SA5000 with my Earmax Pro.

I have heard the SA5ks with the EMP at the sydney meet and thought that it sounded very good. I think the M3 (ymmv) was more synergistic with the SA5ks though.

Nov 18, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 26
Ray Samuels HR-2 here. Very impressed.

The SA5Ks gain in bass impact, retain their speed and clarity, and lose some of the harshness in the upper register.

BW

Nov 18, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vedder323
So I got my 5ks and im in love... what amp do you think is the best way to go for these cans?

First filter: Class AB vs class A, opamps versus discrete circuitry, negative feedback in output versus no feedback used in the output stage, portable with skimpy power supply or home unit with better power supply.

Get an amp with class A, no opamps, and no negative feedback in the output stage, with the best power supply available (no portable).

Second filter: Tube versus solid state.

Do you want solid state detail, dynamics, great transient response, dee and well defined bass, and neutrality, at the cost of less body (leanness) to the tone?

Do you want tube lushness and liquidity, with rich timbre?

You want both in one unit - the best characteristics of solid state and tube in one. Bada PH12 passes the test - thre 6NS7 tubes, MOSFETS in the output, a huge power tranformer, and enough capacitance to operate a speaker amp. A no brainer choice, IMO. The best hybrid made - the only one that passes my filters and the most natural and realistic sound I have heard with the Sony SA5000. All other amp owners hate me for saying this.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136296

Users who are viewing this thread

Back