Sony mdr-SA1000 opinions much appreciated
Mar 27, 2005 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gshan

Headphoneus Supremus
I was ready to pull the trigger on the a500's when I heard the SA1000s were available in US online retailers for about the same price as the ath's on acubes. They are 70 ohms according to headphonereviews.org, so I'm wondering: Will portables and the line-out of my AV-710 power them sufficiently? I'll also be using them privately on my computer, so isolation won't play a factor. Thx in advance.

+edit: Ohm-wise I'm sure I'll be fine, but these cans are a little higher end than I'm used to so I just wanted to be sure.

Mar 27, 2005 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm not sure they can be driven extremely well, but I thought they sounded fine out of an iPod and a Kenwood MD player. You gotta turn the volume up a bit.

Mar 27, 2005 at 9:55 AM Post #3 of 5
Gshan, how much did you find them for? The cheapest I can find them for is $112 + $5 Ground shipping, here from Beach Audio.

Mar 27, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by myself, aka me
I'm not sure they can be driven extremely well, but I thought they sounded fine out of an iPod and a Kenwood MD player. You gotta turn the volume up a bit.

Thanks. There is still hope for me and my little amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noname
Gshan, how much did you find them for? The cheapest I can find them for is $112 + $5 Ground shipping, here from Beach Audio.

Same here. They have a pretty decent lifetime rating, and good reviews for the most part. (http://www.resellerratings.com/seller3472.html)

Mar 29, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 5
They seem to sound better and better as u keep hearing them for a while. I tried on my portable Creative Zen with DB Pro portable amp and it sounded much better with amp than without.

I guess it shall sound even better with a better source. I am getting Echo Indigo IO in 2 days and hopefully it shall make the cans sound even better on my laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back