Sony MDR-SA 5000 on PC ?
Jun 26, 2005 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Xxtest83

New Head-Fier
Hi,

i wonder if the Sony MDR-SA 5000 is giving a good sound directly out of my soundcard Audigy 2 ZS while it hasn't a very high impedance (70 ohm) or do i really need an amp for the use with my PC ? If so, would the new Porta Corda MkIII-USB a good solution?

Greetings

Stefan

Jun 26, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 23
A headphone like that needs to be amp decently. The audigy 2zs or portable players wont be able to give you the extra push at the bottom end and wont be able to balance the sound as well.

Jun 26, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 23
I tried my SA5000's through my AZ2 and I found the sound to be meh. Compaired to my emu0404 / PPA setup I don't think I will ever try these headphones with the AZ2. I would definatly try the headphones unamped and see if you like it if not get an amp and if you still don't like it then get a different source. You can easly run 2 sound cards.

-Alex-

Jun 26, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 23
SA5000's feed on high quality sources, more so than a good amp I think. You're better off buying a Micro DAC and a small amp like a PAV2 for now, and upgrade the amp later.
(You would only pay an extra $200 for a Micro DAC, if you don't buy the EMU 0404 and just use the Audigy's optical out)

Jun 26, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xxtest83
Would a Porta Corda MkIII-USB already enough to improve the SA 5000 sound a lot compared to my soundcard ?

Thanks for your help.

Stefan

I have never herd the Porta Corda MkIII-USB so I honestly have no idea. From what I read it seems ok. It is a DAC and amp in 1 isn't it? Maybe someone on here has it and could help me.

-Alex-

Jun 26, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Would a Porta Corda MkIII-USB already enough to improve the SA 5000 sound a lot compared to my soundcard ?

Thanks for your help.

Stefan

It will improve on the sound card, but for that price range you might as well buy a DAC and an amp seperately IMHO.

Jun 27, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 23
Oh man, when I first asked about getting a high quality pair of headphones and everyone told me that my Audigy 2z was a steaming pile, I told them they were dumb and crazy. Then I tried it, and it didn't even outmatch the sound of something out of my iPod UNAMPED. Quite frankly, there's no nice way of saying that the Audigy 2ZS is lousy for music. You'd be wasting your money on those headphones if you're only going to use them for that card. I switched over to an EMU-0404 and life has been quite grand.

Jun 27, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #9 of 23
well, the advantage of the PC MkIII-USB is, that it does not depend on the soundcard because a DAC is integrated and can be connected to the USB port of a pc/laptop and is bypassing the card that way. so it might be the better way for me while having such a bad card for good stereo sound. i still use the audigy 2 zs for its surround sound (i own a 7.1 speaker system). or is there a better idea for me in the same price range?

thank you

Stefan

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #11 of 23
I would go for an EMU 0404 and Gilmore Lite. Buy used to save money.

I heard the SA5000 with my Dynalo and PPA w/ OPA627 and Glassmans diamond buffers. They sounded pretty bad with the PPA.

Jun 28, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

well, the advantage of the PC MkIII-USB is, that it does not depend on the soundcard because a DAC is integrated and can be connected to the USB port of a pc/laptop and is bypassing the card that way. so it might be the better way for me while having such a bad card for good stereo sound. i still use the audigy 2 zs for its surround sound (i own a 7.1 speaker system). or is there a better idea for me in the same price range?

thank you

Stefan

Please highly consider an external DAC and external AMP instead of an all-in-one package; it would make upgrading much more difficult.

Jun 28, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #14 of 23
am i wrong while thinking that if i want the same sound quality than with the with an external dac + amp than with the porta corda, i would have to spend much more money compared to the all-in-one solution. i won't think about upgrades in the early future. the quality of the porta corda especially with the use of the new sony is more interesting for me.

Jun 28, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

am i wrong while thinking that if i want the same sound quality than with the with an external dac + amp than with the porta corda, i would have to spend much more money compared to the all-in-one solution. i won't think about upgrades in the early future. the quality of the porta corda especially with the use of the new sony is more interesting for me.

If you have self control and will stop once you get the Porta Corda, then by all means go for it.. :).

By the way, what is your source right now? Do you have an iPod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back