Sony MDR-R10 Vs Audeze LCD-2
Jan 17, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #16 of 61
The Z1000 is getting pretty good reviews, so they must have a few good people left.

Jan 17, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #17 of 61

I notice the trend in all these re-release threads is that they are sold at the original or cheaper price.

Come on people,you want the best,then be prepared to pay for it.

In life Nothing Good comes Cheap.

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #18 of 61
I would be happy if they released them at the current market value.(6000)  I am hoping to pick one up this summer. It would be cool if it was new and you knew that there were parts for it because it was just released again. I know this will probably never happen, but if sony were to release them at todays prices in small batches, maybe they wouldnt lose any money on them this time.

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #19 of 61

Quote:

I notice the trend in all these re-release threads is that they are sold at the original or cheaper price.

Come on people,you want the best,then be prepared to pay for it.

In life Nothing Good comes Cheap.

Ah but it is those things that are almost free that can be the most rewarding. A concert in the park, and on and on. What we give to each other in kindness is worth more than anything else. 

Anyway, I would not expect them to be released at the same price and that was more of a jest. It would be nice to see a true current phone that was for the most part, the undisputed king. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #20 of 61
The current crop are a full step above their peers. The orthos, HD800, T1, PS1000 are pretty good upgrades from the "reference" cans of two years ago. Stax has their new flagship stat hat sure to claim top honors. Everyone in the AKG camp are awaiting the second coming of their King and AT will surely stay in the game. Sony should industrialize the R 10 and reissue.

Are we too demanding of our vendors?

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #21 of 61

Quote:
The current crop are a full step above their peers. The orthos, HD800, T1, PS1000 are pretty good upgrades from the "reference" cans of two years ago. Stax has their new flagship stat hat sure to claim top honors. Everyone in the AKG camp are awaiting the second coming of their King and AT will surely stay in the game. Sony should industrialize the R 10 and reissue.

Yep, the current cream of the crop are quite good.  I have been very impress with the HD-800 as of late, even more after a cable upgraded and driven balanced.  Sadly, we might have to wait some more before Senn release their next big one...though we may not have to wait that long given the next Stax C32 will due out in the next three months.  Even then, the R10 will continue to reign on the top of the closed headphones for many more years to come.  

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #22 of 61

Quote:
Quote:

Yep, the current cream of the crop are quite good.  I have been very impress with the HD-800 as of late, even more after a cable upgraded and driven balanced.  Sadly, we might have to wait some more before Senn release their next big one...though we may not have to wait that long given the next Stax C32 will due out in the next three months.  Even then, the R10 will continue to reign on the top of the closed headphones for many more years to come.  

The R10 will never be dethroned.A legend is a legend.

The 69 charger is a legend that has been bettered by hundreds of other cars,but it is still the King.

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #23 of 61

Quote:
I would be happy if they released them at the current market value.(6000)  I am hoping to pick one up this summer. It would be cool if it was new and you knew that there were parts for it because it was just released again. I know this will probably never happen, but if sony were to release them at todays prices in small batches, maybe they wouldnt lose any money on them this time.

I agree with you but 6 is a lot to drop on a phone.

I doubt that most who own the R10 paid that much,and I wonder how many would have paid that much.

If it remained in the 3-4 bracket then it would be very tempting.

But when all is said and done it would NOT be an original R10 just an expensive copy.

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #24 of 61
Thanks guys for the great discussion thus far. It really makes me curious to how these things sound and hope to hear a pair at a meet in the near future. Its pretty crazy a closed can is actually, in some people's eyes, be the best can you can buy. It just doesn't make much sense imo. It does seem weird sony would stop production but these headphones were a niche item and did not bring the money that sony, I believe, wanted. Sony is a main stream company making bilions every year in all their various electronic sales. They are not going to spend the time, money, and man power to develop a superior headphone when they can use the same resources to build the next "best" tv which would yield a much higher pay out margin for them. Just some thought on that. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #25 of 61

Quote:
Thanks guys for the great discussion thus far. It really makes me curious to how these things sound and hope to hear a pair at a meet in the near future. Its pretty crazy a closed can is actually, in some people's eyes, be the best can you can buy. It just doesn't make much sense imo. It does seem weird sony would stop production but these headphones were a niche item and did not bring the money that sony, I believe, wanted. Sony is a main stream company making bilions every year in all their various electronic sales. They are not going to spend the time, money, and man power to develop a superior headphone when they can use the same resources to build the next "best" tv which would yield a much higher pay out margin for them. Just some thought on that. 

I hope they figure out this sooner of later but I doubt they will ever, unless they starting see a big surge in highend headphone demand.  Remember, they really took themselve out of the MP3 market?  To jump start a production, it will likly cost them more money unless they can mass produced them and sell several hundreds of them a year.  All we need to do is get those chinese millionaires to start buying more exotic headphones for thier collection.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #26 of 61
The MDR Z1000 is their flagship now. Quite different from the appearance and possibly performance of the R10. Often a statement piece is understood to not sell well but it does make that, a statement. The R10 did that but maybe Sony didn't feel it was loud enough, that the statement wasn't noticed by many except for a niche market. Look at their first SACD machines, the two top models where statements and with modifications still hold up and they can be refurbished but they don't make anything like that now. To know an R10 could be made and that more could enjoy that bit of pleasure . . . well there is always hope. :^)

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #27 of 61
I'm ok with the fact that sony is a mainstream company, that It's one of the the best-known electronic company in the world, and that most of it's customers don't know anything of the high end audio "world".
But I also think that this enormous company should have it's own high end line.
as said above they make billions every year, for them 10 millions is as much as a 10 grain of sand in the desert.  
i'm pretty sure that, if they want to, they could design the best audio line ever. 
and last point I have read somewhere that they recently came out with a 10k$+ speaker, so they will maybe go this way with a new headphone line.

Jan 22, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #28 of 61
I still feel they are better off, in their eyes of course, to spend their money on other electronics more people will buy. 

Quote:
I'm ok with the fact that sony is a mainstream company, that It's one of the the best-known electronic company in the world, and that most of it's customers don't know anything of the high end audio "world".
as said above they make billions every year, for them 10 millions is as much as a 10 grain of sand in the desert.  
i'm pretty sure that, if they want to, they could design the best audio line ever. 
and last point I have read somewhere that they recently came out with a 10k$+ speaker, so they will maybe go this way with a new headphone line.

Jan 22, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #29 of 61

Quote:
I still feel they are better off, in their eyes of course, to spend their money on other electronics more people will buy. 

Quote:

Or to develop another CD copy protection system

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #30 of 61

Quote:

Are you referring to this?  A single speaker that produces stereo?  This seems more like a gimmick than high-end.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-10249912-47.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back