Sony MDR-R10-the best in the world?
Oct 17, 2005 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Not than I can afford 4gs for a ste of cans...
Havent heard any talk about them on the forums here-was wondering what you guys had to say about them.
When I look at pictures of them, i experience a similar reaction to when I spot a Lamborghini on the street; my eyes well up with tears.
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 48
Yah... I guess they haven't been the FoTM for a while!

Anyway, talk about them pretty much settled down after they were discontinued. Once in a while you'll see people hunting them down.

Opinions vary. Regardless, many people think they are among the finest, if not the finest, dynamic headphone. Personally, I prefer my Qualia 010.

Best,

-Jason

Oct 17, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 48
i would have said yes all the way up to this spring, when I heard the Sennheiser Orpheus System. The HE90 headphones. The HEV90 electrostatic tube amp. PERFECTION. do a search on it!

Oct 17, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 48
Interesting...
Where can I see these Orpheus Senns?
I think I need to go to a headphone AA meeting or something.
Reading these threads have turned me into an addict; ive been contemplating some crazy scenarios in my head so that I can afford more cans...like cutting down on meals...lol.
Not healthy.

Oct 17, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 48
The Sony R10 is my favorite headphone. I prefer it slightly to even the HE90s. Although I have not heard the HE90s out of anything besides a stax 007t amp.

Oct 17, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #7 of 48
what in particular makes them so good?
Can you compare and contrast to say a 650 or rs-1?
or is it a completely different league altogether?

Oct 17, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #8 of 48
I didn't like the R10 nearly as much as the HE90 when I heard it, but I would attribute this to the amp that was powering the R10 (don't remember what it was but it was one of the newer Singlepower Slam varieties. PPX3?) Definitely the wrong choice for them. The R10's did have a very magical midrange, wonderfully textured, and they also had a very good soundstage, but the quality fell off towards either extreme of the frequency range. The HE90 had a much more effortless and natural treble and the bass was much more extended and better defined. That's all that I can say from a brief listen under less than ideal circumstances... but they're good cans, for sure. I also liked the Qualia 010 more than the R10, but I remember even less of them so I'll hold my tongue. *holds on to tongue with both hands
blink.gif

Oct 17, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #9 of 48
this might sound ridiculous-but is there an audiophile dictionary that I can read?
Being relativley new to the game-id like to school myself on some of the more common used terminology.

Oct 17, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #11 of 48
thanks Neil!
exactly what I needed.
now ill know how to spend even more money that I dont have on more sets of cans
tongue.gif

Oct 17, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #13 of 48
I have not heard any electrostatic, and not that I care too much about them neither, I do not have the funds to build an electrostatic system at the same level of a good dynamic one, but other than that, I may say: YES!!!!! I have not heard any other headphone that comes even close to the R-10, and that includes mostly the best out there (but a few exceptions....)

Oct 17, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #15 of 48
They are definitely one of the finest and probably qualify as the finest dynamic headphone out there. Of course, opinions vary since it's a subjective topic but the people who say otherwise are all wrong!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back