Sony MDR-R10 Need Help!!!
Jun 7, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #31 of 47
Maybe you would be better off to post a WTB and get something of known origin and value here on HeadFi. That is if anyone has a set to sell. What would spook me is that the screw shows some type of surface breakdown, if caused by humidity, what do the transducers and material around them look like? Also, the ear pads look very used to me. I can only imagine how frustrating this is.

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoliloCey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
too funny... that price you could get 2x K1000s, some sigmas and omegas
o2smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by peeradonn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear,

Thanks for your Comment, by the way, I once already owned K1000, Omega, OmegaII, Lambda, Sigma, L3000, and many more....

since I never have R10 before and this time is the time of R10, so I don't think 6000$ for R10 is funny
atsmile.gif

^ I like the way you response to that kind of comment
wink.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe you ask those questions after winning the auction.

Exactly!
If you question the legality of the pair, or if it is even NOS, you should have asked all the necessary questions up front before buying it.

That said, it certainly do not look NOS to me either.

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoliloCey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
too funny... that price you could get 2x K1000s, some sigmas and omegas
o2smile.gif

But the R10s are the only closed headphone among those you mentioned. My wife loves the R10 for that reason. She doesn't like the sound leakage of my HE90 when I listen to them at night.

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #36 of 47
"Why are you asking these questions after winning the bid?" is the question that pops up to me. Given the discrepency between the pictures and the product description, your questions indeed ought to be asked, but most preferrably before bidding. This is to be fair to yourself and the seller. You can always privately PM some experts here anytime without any concern.

Moving forward, I agree with most of them that fairness should be sought.

Jun 27, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #38 of 47
"rode hard and put away wet" comes to mind...

Jun 27, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now these are New Old Stock. They are also a masterpiece of headphone design. Perfection doesn't come along very often.

IMG_0371.jpg

Ahhh yes. Here I DEFINATELY agree. Someday...

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're being too kind to the seller here. If he stated they were NOS and made no representations about the damage that is clearly visible, then you have every right to cancel the auction (and would be crazy not to IMO).

As others have said, the pads are worn. They have been used--well used. I've owned a pair of R10s for at least 5 years and my pads are in better shape than those. Granted, I don't use them every day or even close to every day, but I've taken them to several Head-Fi meets so I'm not the only one who has used them. agile_one had a pair of R10s that are as old as mine and even in better shape than mine, and he too, took them to many Head-Fi meets.

So lie #1 was that they were NOS. Clearly they have been used and you don't need to have close up pics of the headphone plug to confirm this.

Lie #2 relates to the "corrosion" excuse! If they were truly NOS, that means "new old stock" which then means they should be in "new" condition. In other words, they should have been safely stored in appropriate room conditions. If they were exposed to extreme heat or cold or dampness, then even if they had never been used (which clearly they have been), then the damage caused by such neglect would also disqualify them as being NOS.

In other words, you have to hold someone to a "reasonable" standard of the NOS definition and not a purely legal interpretation. Maybe he bought them for his favorite cow, Bessie, and they've been kept in a barn for 15 years. His problem, not yours.

Don't pay. Cancel the auction, send these pics to eBay (they will rule in your favor and no damage will be done to your account or reputation), and move on.

Lie #3 is the "unknown" which I'm guessing would be damage to the drivers from moisture. I just can't understand how "corrosion" could cause the flaking off of paint to a pair of headphones that have never been used. Either a) they have been used (99% chance of that looking at the well worn pads) and thus the damage was caused by banging them against something, or b) the damage that you see (from "corrosion") in an unused pair suggests that there will be further damage to the headphones that you don't see--moisture is not good for drivers.

Back to the issue here. My words were a bit more measured than McManus here but he is right on the money with this one. Let us know what happens and good luck.

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #43 of 47
dear all,

I decided to cancle my bid and inform the seller with the reason that I'm not sure weather this is NOS as he mentioned or not? surprisingly, he never reply and just disappeared! not even give me bad feedback or any word. I think this kinda strange and I feel like I made right decision not to take this deal. Thank you all for your kind comment and help.

kim

Jun 28, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #45 of 47
wow, if he handles it like that there is no doubt you did the right thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back