Sony MDR-NC33: need noise-canceling pod
Aug 3, 2010 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Fallingwater

100+ Head-Fier
I've been sold a pair of the titular headphones. I wasn't told they had a noise canceling feature, and was expecting normal 'phones; I was therefore surprised at seeing the 5-pole jack. However, I was not sold the pod that does the noise-canceling calculations and has the standard 3-pole jack.

Turns out they're useable in most players by simply pulling the jack about a mm out, but my main player is now my phone, and I can't use them in that because it gets confused by the multipin jack, identifies them as a headset and inserts a very annoying intermittent noise.

So I need the pod, without the 'phones. Can this be found anywhere, and what expense am I looking at?

Thanks.

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 5
Didn't realize NC33 can be disconnected from the pod.  All the pictures I see on the web show permanent connection.
Are you sure yours was not from a noise-canceling MP3 player, like Sony's X-series?
Can you post a pic?  Interested in seeing how a 5-pole jack looks like.

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 5
Looks like they were bundled with the noise-canceling Sony S740 and A840.
http://phantomclf.blogspot.com/2009/09/new-sony-walkman-music-players.html

Aug 4, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 5
You're right, the seller does in fact have that player. He was obviously unaware that the 'phones were meant for that and that alone.

So, what do I do now? I really like the noise-canceling thing, but since the pod of the normal NC33s is one with the cable I can't hope to find one bare on which to solder mine.

Are there any third-party pods, or pods from other brands, that I could maybe adapt?

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 5
I doubt they are compatible with any other brand.
I guess you'll have to try at a Sony shop to see which MP3 players are compatible.  I hear good thing about the X-series.  Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back