Sony MDR-M55
Jul 14, 2007 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

aperture

New Head-Fier
I bought the Sony MDR-M55 few weeks ago in a local thirftshop that sell second hand stuffs its complete with the box and i think it was never used... and I'm very much happy with the sound quality. i used it at work almost everytime the foam pads we're missing and i dont have any idea how it looked like.. so i just added foampads from an ordinary headphone..
p1010327my7.jpg

any other members here have this pair of heaphones? any idea when it was made? i cant find any info about this headphones.. or reviews..
3000smile.gif

im using it a whole lot more than my px100... earcups are made of metal.. its open back.. and it sounded great..

Jul 14, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 11
Got this off
Google:

the specification..
smily_headphones1.gif

i dont have any info what year it was made but i think it was manufactured in the 1980s.. over all build qualitiy is very good..
the earcups that holds the drivers are made of metal.. which is quite similar with the build quality of the Sony MDR-7506.
no barcoding on the box when i bought it.. and its made in japan.
smily_headphones1.gif

Specifications:
Freq response: 15hz to 25,000Khz
Sensitivity: 104 dB/mW
Impedance: 45 Ohms
Power handling capacity: 0.50W

Jul 15, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by misterDX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much you paid for them?

thanks for all the replies..
biggrin.gif

i got them for only $3.. she was selling it to me for $5 i haggled and went down to $3.. hehehe

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 11
You got yourself an absolute bargain.
These were Sony's very decent attempts at lightweight semi-open designs.
I had both the M55 and M77, with extended bass response in the M77 and silver in colour.
The original ear bads were very delicate and used thin foam lining covered my cloth-like mesh.
The mesh itself would rip from the housing and the foam deteriorated over time.
If I remember the sound correctly (it's been over 15 years), they had a wonderful sense of space and the mids were articulate without brightness.
If you want to look after these puppies, be sure to go easy on the Headpiece swivel junction. ith constant stress on this area, the plastic band casing (with the Blue L) will splinter.
This happened to both my Ms.
frown.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 9:28 AM Post #8 of 11
thanks Lord Mike... i upgraded the foam pads with slightly thick Plantronics Pads.. they're very comfy now.. they sound so wonderful considering its a 15 year old headphones.. i sold my Px100 because of this headphones.. I'm taking good care of it now..
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 9:45 AM Post #9 of 11
I have fond university memories of these cans so if at any stage you want to part with them, please let me know.
wink.gif

I used to rock these bad boys with my Sony DD-9 Quartz walkman. That was as good as portable hifi got back in the late 80s.

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #11 of 11
ha! I found my old pair of the mdr-m55 that I bought over 15 yrs ago.

the foam cushions are long gone but I did remember that I blew out the elements and replaced them maybe 10 yrs ago. they've been sitting in a drawer, unused, all this time. if I can find the original 55 pads that would be great. the cheap pads I have on now are rat shack junk and the fit of the original pad really made a lot of difference in getting a semi-good 'seal', as I remember it.

sony used to stock parts and sell to end users. I wonder if they still do.

otoh, sony used to carry parts for about 7 yrs after EOL and I think we're long past the 7yr mark on this model
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back