Sony MDR-G52: The Original Street-Style
Apr 20, 2002 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

n4rc0l3pt1c

New Head-Fier
I know, I know...everyone here hates the Sony Street Style headphones...

But I have a pair from when they first came out, and I think they sound pretty good for the price, similar in aspects to the SportaPro's (good overall quality but bass is on the boomy side) although I'm not a headphones expert so I wouldn't have an exact opinion. Have any of you audiophiles heard these cans before and what do you think of them?

May 12, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 4
n4rc0l3pt1c,

It's quite a surprise that the lower-end Sony StreetStyle headphones - though far from hi-fi - sound better than higher-end StreetStyles from the same brand! I tried the MDR-G56V (which is the same headphone as the MDR-G52LP but with a volume control on the headphone cord) - and I enjoy it more than I ever did my MDR-G63LP and MDR-G72LP StreetStyles (which sound tinny and harsh to the point of fatigue). The "Sports" models - the MDR-G59G and the newly-introduced MDR-G57G - are similar to the MDR-G52, as well.

Of course, those lower-end Street Styles are no KSC-35/50/55 in sound quality; the Kosses are much better. But at least the lower-end StreetStyles are worth much closer to their actual cost than do the higher-end ones.

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 4
They may not sound as good at the KSC-35's but they have a better and more durable form factor. The piece of **** 35's I had start dissembling by themselves. And the cheap over sized volume limiter doesn't help their appearance. Also they feel cheap. They sound great, but they are embarrassing to wear, I don't mind wearing big headphones in public (SR80's where you at) but most KOSS headphones are ugly. The only ones that look good are the PortaPros and the cheap Koss phones in those Borders/Barnes&Nobles listening stations.
Anyway, there's another thread talking about the MDR-G52's.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/son...-parts-217703/

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 4
I used to have those and liked them a lot. It was before I really cared about filedity but they were well built and fun to listen to. Single entry cord is great too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back