Sony MDR-EX90LP HELP!!!
Mar 4, 2007 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

mtb

New Head-Fier
Hi,
Could you please help me.
I am about to buy the Sony MDR-EX90LP headphones however I am not sure which ones to get.
There seems to be 2 types available on the market.
sc001.jpg
Pic 1
sc002.jpg
Pic2
A few differences seem to be the SONY is embossed in Pic 1 and is written in black on Pic 2.
The joint near the top is in black in Pic 1 and silver in Pic 2.
The R (right) and L (Left) is on the back in Pic 1 and the front in Pic 2.
Finally the silver part looks more like plastic in Pic 2.
Would I be correct in assuming that the ones from Pic 2 are not genuine?
They seem to be on eBay for £10 or $20.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...8256%26fvi%3D1
Which out of the 2 do you have?
Thank You
T

Mar 4, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 22
Interestingly enough, I have genuine ones that look exactly like the ones in pic 2. Mine are an earlier model, so perhaps Sony has redesigned them? In any case, the eBay auction seems fishy.

Mar 5, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 22
Mine are like in pic 2.

the ones on ebay are fake. That seller has prior history of selling fake senn and sony cans.

Mar 5, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 22
I bought mine quite recently (couple of months ago) and they look like the ones in pic 2. The real ones definitely don't have L & R embossed onto the end of the body and neither is that bit raised. Pic 1 looks fake.

The ones on eBay don't look that fake, but judging from where they're coming from, I would almost guarantee they're fake too. Shenzen is right next to Hong Kong and a lot of fake stuff originate from there. The price is also ridiculously low. The ratio between the metal stalk and the plastic stalk is also wrong. On mine, the plastic stalk is 3 times as long as the metal stalk. From the eBay pictures, the plastic stalk appears to be just twice as long as the metal stalk. Also, the plastic stalk is not supposed to be shiny. Mine has a slightly matte finish. IMO, they're very well made counterfeits. Stay away
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 22
i am staring at our stock, and its pic2, http://bluetin.com/headphones_earpho...dr-ex90lp.html.

our stock is from a major singapore sony distributor who we have business relationship since 1998. also, our pixs are from the official sony japan's electronic catalog http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/tourist/h...X90LP(JE)&LG=1

as u can see, your pic2 suffers from some hue problem (or gamma, or whatever graphical term it is). sony's pic2 is clearly metallic silver (like your pic1), and is so in reality.

having said that, i think copies are not hard to made. when u have a well equipped tool shed, skilled technicians, and affordable labor .. what can u not make?! they are likely not be able to engineer the intricate and hi-fidelity gut, but it shd be easy to fashion a decent visual likeness.

also, the real ex90lp is china made. perhaps the factory next door decided on a parallel production, or god forbid, perhaps some sony supervising manager thought he will have a go himself! dear ol dear ..

Mar 5, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #12 of 22
I've never seen anyone who had EX90s that look like Pic 1. the right and left indicators are in the housing area, near the tubing. unless Sony revised the EX90s design (highly unlikely), the 1st pic is fake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back