Sony MDR-EX90 - disappointed with no-extension cord!
Oct 24, 2006 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

JorisS

New Head-Fier
Well well, just got myself a EX90 from the local Sony Center, but to my big disappointment I found upon opening the package that it does NOT have the extendable cord, like the EX71 does. So basically I'm stuck with a friggin 1.2m cable lenght, which I absolutely do not need!

I'll be using the phones with my phone, meaning they plug into the little microphone/antenna device which already has a 1m cable to the phone. (it's a Sony Ericsson phone)

I thought I'd read on the net that the 90's did have the extension option, but obviously was wrong. Or are there different versions?

Is it possible to hand them in somewhere and get the cord shortened? I remember from some years ago when trying to fix a cord with a bad connection that it isn't something one fancies doing himself...

I'm in serious doubt as I love the phones, but I don't want the hassle of 2m of cable whenever I head out the door...

Oct 24, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 14
I guess you could get a member to shorten the cable for you. Just a tip though, look up the cling film mod, makes them amazing phones for the money.

Oct 24, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 14
I saw the topic and will give it a try!

Might add that I'm located in Sweden, so that might make the sending about somewhat costly. But perhaps I have a fellow Swedish headfile
lambda.gif

Oct 24, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 14
It's unfortunate, really, that headphones way more expensive than the EX-90's don't have them either. The extension was originally designed in the late 90's when MD's and CD players relied upon remotes, especially Japanese models. Outside of Japan, this pratice never really took off. Post 4G ipod, remotes have been dying a slow death, so the impeteus is even smaller these days.

The rise of music phones has yet to make an impact.

The E500 has a shorter cord and extension for a different reason: its PTH, I believe.

Oct 24, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 14
i prefer the LP version. the extention connector in the middle is heavy and pulls the left earbud often.

Oct 25, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #8 of 14
How's the sound of the EX90? I just bust up my $10 Sony headphones today, and I need to get a set of good earphones. Is it worth spending $100 on EX90's, I should get something else?

Oct 25, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #9 of 14
Yeah that EX90 1-sided cord is just awful.... in every way.

An extension would have been a nice addition IMHO. A slightly longer Y-cord would be best.

Sonically they fall prey to the KSC75 (IMHO).

But they are a step up from the craptacular EX51.

there are a lot of discussions out there if you search.

Oct 25, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorisS
I thought I'd read on the net that the 90's did have the extension option, but obviously was wrong. Or are there different versions?

the japanese version has the extension cable. you can find them at audiocubes or ebay sometimes.

sony mdr-ex90SL (not mdr-ex90LP)

Oct 25, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for the replies guys.

Quote:

the japanese version has the extension cable. you can find them at audiocubes or ebay sometimes.

sony mdr-ex90SL (not mdr-ex90LP)

I dont know audiocubes (but will have a look), did see the phones on eBay though. But at the prices those were listed, I'm fairly certain those aren't genuine Sony (like £3 buy it now, from Hong Kong)?

Quote:

Try buying a short cable for the bottom of the phone from ebay.
I use one for my w810i.
I'm sure they have one in black somewhere. The short cable really helps manage things.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5mm-STEREO-hea...QcategoryZ4242 4QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The EX90s have some nice sound. Good Luck!

Thanks! That was an alternative I was thinking about. I'm not really a phone monster in that ppl constantly call me, and I haven't really adapted to the 'headset' calling type of style. So basically I don't need the mic-part dangling under my chin (with long cord). I'll probably get one of these, if the shop where i bought the headphones can't supply me with a pair of SL's instead.

Nov 2, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #12 of 14
I also wanted the SL style (short cord + ext). I just saw on Audicubes a newer more stylish model of earbuds with the 13.5 mm driver. They come in colors. Here is the link to the MDR-EX85SL. The price is much less than the US EX90LP.

http://www.audiocubes.com/product/So...Earphones.html

BTW, I love the EX90s. They are very comfortable and really stay put in both ears. I sometimes use only the right bud when listening to radio shows. Today when I removed the earbud from my ear I noticed the silicone sleeve was missing. It had stayed put even without the sleeve. I had spares from older EX70s.

Nov 3, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille
i would imagine the EX85SL to be a slight step down from the EX90SL/LP...

Possibly. According to the Atraclife.com website, the EX85SL is designed as a more affordable version of the EX90. They did this by substituting less expensive parts and not doing the individual SQ inspection that is done on the EX90s. And, the EX85 uses the same driver as the EX90.

The big plus of the EX85 is the color selection (white, red, blue, black).

However, for only $30 more, you can get the EX90SL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back