Sony MDR-EX85SL N.U.D.E EX (Monitor)
Jan 4, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 11
Are these like S.E.Xy speakers?
very_evil_smiley.gif

boundcable.jpg

Jan 4, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #5 of 11
They cost around 40-50USD in Hong Kong. You can find them in most major electronics stores. I think they come in three or four colours. No idea how they sound though.

Feb 10, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 11
I ordered the black MDR-EX85SL through Ebay. The price ranges from $58 to $62 with shipping. I received mine in a few days from Japan.

The EX85s come with the short remote style cord with straight plug and an extension cord. The extension cord is just like the ones that came with my other SL models (71SL, 888SL). They also come with a small cloth bag and a plastic earpiece holder like the one that comes with a MDR-EX71. I like this better than the leather/plastic case that came with my EX90s.

The EX85s earbuds are slightly lighter and smaller than the EX90s. My postal scale measures a one gram difference. They appear to be all plastic construction with a metallic silver coating. The sound is very similar to that of the EX90s. The EX90s are slightly more sensitive. The EX85s fit in my ears the same as the EX90s. As in the EX90s, there is some isolation from external noises but not as much as the EX71s. Personally, I prefer the ability to hear traffic noises.

Overall, I like the EX85s more than my EX90s because of the lesser weight, the smaller size, and short cord. They are also less conspicuous compared to my EX90s. Most of my everyday players sit at shirt pocket level for which the short remote style cord is great.

Feb 12, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veggie_Musician /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried modding them like what you can do with the EX90s?

I haven't tried it yet, but I will try the masking tape version of the mod. BTW, the EX85s appear to have slightly larger vent holes than the EX90s.

Feb 12, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #9 of 11
there has to be at least a distinction in terms of SQ between the EX85 and EX90, kinda like Grado SR60 and SR80 (although i'm not sure of the SQ between those two, just wanna find a somewhat similar comparison)?

[size=xx-small]i'm surprised no one commented on the link VR6 added...[/size]

Feb 13, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there has to be at least a distinction in terms of SQ between the EX85 and EX90, kinda like Grado SR60 and SR80 (although i'm not sure of the SQ between those two, just wanna find a somewhat similar comparison)?

[size=xx-small]i'm surprised no one commented on the link VR6 added...[/size]

There was a small write-up on the difference between the EX85 and EX90 on a website that watches Japanese products on www.atraclife.com

>>>

As we have reported previously, the MDR-EX85SL has been designated as a budget version of the MDR-EX90SL by Sony. Employing the same driver unit as the 90SL, Sony’s latest addition of “EX Monitor” MDR-EX85SL will be available in four color schemes: blue, white, violet and red.

To reflect the reduction in price, some different parts were used for the MDR-EX85SL to reduce its production cost relative to the MDR-EX90SL. In addition, the exclusive quality and control system instituted for the MDR-EX90SL will be excluded as well – where SQ is being inspected individually before final shipment.

<<<

So far in my listening tests, I have discerned no noticeable sound quality differences but I do have older ears. I can tell the difference between EX71s and the EX85s. When I modded the EX85s with some masking tape to cover the vents, the bass increased significantly. Personally, I do not prefer so much bass. The normal EX85 bass is very acceptable and solid. I love these buds much more than my Shure E3cs.

At work, the EX85s are great because I can still hear my coworkers and the black design makes them less conspicuous.

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #11 of 11
Hi I'm looking for an upgrade for my CX300 and I have my eyes on the EX85...

But I'm also thinking about the EX90, but if the ex85 and ex90 don't have that much differences in sound quality I'd rather go with the EX85, besides I like it's design better than the EX90. Like IpaqMan says: makes them less conspicuous.

So what would be a better choice EX85 or EX90 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back