Sony MDR-EX81 - Has Sony finally lifted their game?
Mar 25, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
i like the sony ex81 better. in fact, i use it daily now. i do not like the hje50 as much now. i got them for 76 singapore dollars, which is roughly USD46.
cool.gif

where is the sony store you bought it from? tempted to buy already
etysmile.gif

Mar 25, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by hackeron
Also, as for the E2 being muted, you'll find many would disagree and its only common sense that you'll say that if you dont find the EX71 shrill or atleast too bright. But thats a matter of preference.

That is a hard statement to agree with...

Out of the box, the EX71 may well be unnaturally bright, but I can assure you that my 18 month (if not older) pair have virtually no treble at all, to the point where I have to have the treble boost EQ on on my ipod to listen to them... and, yes - I have compared to a new pair... twice, and the difference is immediate, and alarming.

...Something tells me, with the comparison of the 71 and 81 that I might not like the 81s too much
frown.gif

DigDub,

How has extended use / burn in affected the EX81? has it tamed the highs?

Mar 25, 2005 at 8:06 AM Post #20 of 49
Does it(EX81) produce a decently deep, full, soundstage? At least close to the KSC3/75s?
frown.gif
I love that feature of KSC. I'm really wanting to upgrade from my HJE50... to me it sounds quite muddy and raw; especially crappy straight out of my iPod. It's decent connected to my computer. I want to know if the EX81 is much better
confused.gif

Mar 25, 2005 at 12:27 PM Post #21 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jirou
Does it(EX81) produce a decently deep, full, soundstage? At least close to the KSC3/75s?
frown.gif
I love that feature of KSC. I'm really wanting to upgrade from my HJE50... to me it sounds quite muddy and raw; especially crappy straight out of my iPod. It's decent connected to my computer. I want to know if the EX81 is much better
confused.gif

hje50 sounds muddy n raw?? :| i was about to buy 1 with my limited budget...

Mar 25, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #22 of 49
Well, muddy may be too mean... but I think its prone to distortion and the separation between instruments is somewhat weak. However, I haven't given it much burn-in time because it put me off so much when I first listened to it :p Lately, I have been burning it in, so I'll see if it gets much better. The thing that really gets me is its harsh highs and lack of separation. I mean obviously it's not going to be awesome for when I got it for $20, but for what it is, its very nice. And it makes listening to my KSC75 much more of a joy
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirauron
hje50 sounds muddy n raw?? :| i was about to buy 1 with my limited budget...

muddy and raw perhaps if you have experience with listening to more expensive audiophones.

Mar 26, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #24 of 49
My hje50 sounds pretty fine to me, better than the Sony EX71, although I must clarify that I have not listen to more expensive audiophones. For its price, it is definitely worth a buy.

Mar 26, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirauron
where is the sony store you bought it from? tempted to buy already
etysmile.gif

are you from singapore? if so, i bought it at V3 from sim lim square.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
That is a hard statement to agree with...

Out of the box, the EX71 may well be unnaturally bright, but I can assure you that my 18 month (if not older) pair have virtually no treble at all, to the point where I have to have the treble boost EQ on on my ipod to listen to them... and, yes - I have compared to a new pair... twice, and the difference is immediate, and alarming.

...Something tells me, with the comparison of the 71 and 81 that I might not like the 81s too much
frown.gif

DigDub,

How has extended use / burn in affected the EX81? has it tamed the highs?

i agree with you for the ex71. after extended periods of use, the ex71 does become very smooth, sometimes to the point of being dull.
icon10.gif

from my impression, the ex81 has lost only a tiny bit, if any, bit of the brightness (but i like tad of brightness though). i suspect the ex81 driver is different from the that of the ex71 and ex51 because the ex81 sounds distinctly different from the 51/71.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2005 at 8:02 AM Post #27 of 49
Thanks DigDub
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess i'd better buy another pair of EX71s before they are no longer sold... I don't really care what the E2C, E3C, ER6, ER6i etc owners say, for ease of use (application, can pull them out of your ears quickly if called for) and for casual (read that as non-critical) use, the EX71s once burnt in are hard to beat (if only to me and a couple of others
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Mar 28, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #29 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by srgbilco
Hi, I was just wondering if these Sony headphones are comfortable enough to use with glasses?

I wear specs whilst using the EX81s and I have no problems. That, said the earhooks do not fit very tightly around my ears hence they stay well clear of my spectacle arms. Unless you have super thick glass frames or a very big ears, I doubt you'll have a problem and even if you do its gonna be a very minor niggle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back