Sony MDR-EX70LP or MDR-E888?
Dec 16, 2002 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

DwightLooi

New Head-Fier
I am trying to decide between the Sony MDR-E888 and the MDR-EX70LP earphones. Price doesn't concern me; I willing willing pay US$300 for a set of earbuds if they make them and they sound great. The problem is that I cannot seem to find a store in the US where I can actually try them! I can buy them and return them if I am displeased, but I'll rather avoid that. I have absolutely no idea how they sound. My previous earphone is a pair of Sony MDR-E484G earbuds from 8 years ago. I'll give it a 8/10 and if either sounds like a the MDR-484, I'll be satisfied. The ability to deliver loud music is unimportant, whats important is reproduction quality.

They shall be matched with a Sony Discman D-EJ1000.

I am open to other earphone suggestions as well, but they have to be earbuds; IMHO most headphones do not sound as good as earbuds, are always less comfortable and almost all can't be driven properly with the available amplification power on board Discmans.

All comments welcomed and appreciated. Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2002 at 10:46 AM Post #2 of 17
You know the EX70LP aren't earbuds, they're canal phones. Fo your price and if canal phones are an option, go for the Etymotics. You'll have a much better sound (a lot clearer sound, better midrange and highs, solid bass), and much better isolation. The 4P's are generally easier to drive than the 4S's for portables.

Dec 16, 2002 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 17
If you're looking for actual earbuds, save your money and pick up a pair of Sennheiser MX500 for around $18. Definitely better sound than the EX70, and many people (including myself) like them better than the E888.

If you want canalphones (which is really what the EX70 are), check out the Etymotic ER-6 ($130) or ER-4P ($260), both of which are MUCH better than the EX70.

Dec 16, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 17
This has to be the most hashed out thread on any fourm or board, but, this one has an easy resolution of you want to spend $300 USD on phones - ER-4P's!!!!!

You can shell out as much $$$ in getting several other phones/buds, but you'll come to the Etys after awhile, so why not get them, now? They would make a nice Christmas gift to yourself........
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2002 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 17
I didn't really know about Eymotics until I started looking here. From what I've read they look like a better bet, but a few people (only one of them a head-fi member) have told me that the Etymotics aren't all they are cracked up to be on this board. But that's not a recommendation for the EX70. Until very recently I used to use the EX70 on planes because they were portable, they sealed and they made a sound. By no means is the sound particularly enjoyable or good. It's muddy and way too bassy (unless someone would care to correct me, I've had my views severely thrown out of whack).

There are all sorts of modifications for the EX70 out there to supposedly make them better. But there is something frequently written on the Japanese forums about the EX70 modifications: "Trying to make s*** curry out of s*** isn't really a profitable use of time"
evil_smiley.gif

And most headphones don't sound as good as earphones????????????? Eh?

Dec 16, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 17
I don't think there has been a more maligned and praised earbud than the MDR-EX70's. I've never actually heard the thing, but I've been turned off, royally, by the numerous negative comments. Mods or no mods, why bother? Except for isolation in a cheap package.....Well, I have the ER-4P's, so it's a moot point.

Dwightlooi, just get the ER-4P's and be done with t!
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2002 at 1:41 AM Post #7 of 17
Thank you all for bringing to attention Etymotics. By all user accounts they appear to be the earphones to get. I'll be looking to find a way to try out a pair; no local dealers so I'll have to find some means to try a pair before buying.

On a side note I think Etymotics will be doing themselves a big favor if they improve the appearance of the ER-6. These $300 buds look like $15 buds. I think they have a lot to learn from the Japanese on making their products "look" valuable and of exquisite manufacture. When it comes to marketing success of a product, perceivec quality and tactile feel is at least and probably more important than true performance. I mean, the ER-4 package looks like that of a hearing aid; not the best way to paddle a luxury good. The ER-6 is a little better, but they have a lot to learn!
rolleyes.gif

Dec 17, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by myself, aka me
I don't think any form of looks in the world are going to make an earbud look worth $300..

throw some bling on those puppies.
cool.gif

Dec 18, 2002 at 3:25 AM Post #10 of 17
Funny, Dwight wrote:
"the ER4 package looks like that of a hearing aid". Funny because Etymotic is really a company that makes hearing aides and other devices. The headphone thing seems to have been a bit of an odd tangent started by one of their engineers who had an interest in music/audio. I don't think headphones are a big part of their product line or their profits. Don't believe they WANT to compete with Sony or other more traditional headphone manufacterers. And I for one am GLAD for that!

Can you imagine Etymotic "Street Style" headphones?!?!
biggrin.gif

Keep the company doing what it's doing... maybe throwing a bit more money at their efforts to improve the sound of the ER4 series AND do something about the cable microphonics would be nice. But MAN are they good sounding headphones!

Bruce

Dec 18, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Can you imagine Etymotic "Street Style" headphones?!?!
biggrin.gif

Keep the company doing what it's doing... maybe throwing a bit more money at their efforts to improve the sound of the ER4 series AND do something about the cable microphonics would be nice. But MAN are they good sounding headphones!

Bruce

No, I can't imagine "street" looking Etymotics. But honestly, don't you think the ER-4P's plastics, rubber clip, plug, etc looks cheap even if they are not? No, its not just about looking cool, its about looking and feeling to be of exceptional quality. When you peddle a $300 earbud product looking like it came out of Radioshack just doesn't help.
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2002 at 4:35 AM Post #12 of 17
AFter listening to my Sony 77LP canal phones, I can say unequivically: DONT'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! Since you're willing to spend the money go with the recommendations here" Etymonics ER4!!! You'll never regret buying them over either of those Sony units!!!

Dec 18, 2002 at 8:15 AM Post #13 of 17
Everyone here seems to have forgotten one thing...

The PCDP!!

Sorry and all that, but even the ETY 4Ps aren't going to turn that PCDP into a good sounding source!!!!

My advice, if you want earbuds... Spend some of your budget on the cheaper ETY ER6, and the rest of it on a portable META42 / portable Headroom amp...

Granted the ER6 aren't as good as the ER4... but, using that player... i'm sure an amped pair of ER6 will be light years ahead of the ER4s through the headphone out!!

Just my $0.02!

Dec 18, 2002 at 9:10 AM Post #14 of 17
I'd advise against the EX70 too, unless you can't afford the Etys. For my reason, see bangraman's Japanese board quote. Plus, when you use it, you're constantly reminded of what a good idea it is, which is then followed by how poor the execution is.

I have no complaints about the ER-4's construction and looks - it's unlikely that I'll get mobbed because of them, they're fairly solid, and the performance is good. Delivers everything said on the package and more - can't say the same for most things these days.

They probably can't be compared directly to the non-canal-phones - all canal phones seem to have some quirks: you hear the sounds from your innards, sometimes sealing your ears feels awful, the microphonics of the cords is always emphasized (third-party replacement cords don't help IMO). In the case of the Etys there's also the "bass felt, not heard" perception. I'm not a bass person, and tend to enjoy the other parts of the sound reproduction too much to argue against the bass, but if you don't like it, you don't like it.

I think it's important to be aware of the quirks before diving into the Etys, no matter how good they are, they're not a simple, direct one-step-up from the cheaper earbuds. What I mean is the user experience is different on so many fronts. Happy shopping!

Dec 18, 2002 at 1:01 PM Post #15 of 17
Actually Duncan I disagree. I have the D-ej1000 and it sounds pretty good out of the headphone out. It's not powerful by any means, but with the right impedence headphone, or in this case Etymotics, it sounds preety good.

Not as good as with an amp definitely, but I'm reasonably sure the headphone out would do the 4P's some justice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back