Sony MDR-EX082 vs. other headphones
Nov 17, 2008 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

swilly

Head-Fier
I currently do not own any really great headphones/IEMs.

I purchased the Sony NWZ-A816 mp3 player, and I am using the Sony MDR-EX082 headphones that came with it. I am looking to upgrade my headphones, and I was wondering which headphones were worth upgrading to.

I am looking at sub-$100 cans.

I've considered the Denon AH-D1001, Grado SR60, Sennheiser PX100, Koss Portapro, AKG K 414 P, AKG K 81 DJ, Etymotic ER-6i.

If there are any others that anyone recommends and thinks is a worthy upgrade over the MDR-EX082 'phones, leave a message!

Any replies are appreciated.

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #2 of 8
Maybe I should clarify.

I have about $75 to spend, and I was wondering if the Koss Portapro or the Sennheiser PX100 or the AKG K 414 P was worth the upgrade from the MDR-EX082 'phones that came with the Sony NWZ-A816 that I have.

A friend of mine is recommending the Grado SR60, but I feel that I want something that is more portable.

I listen to all types of music, so headphones that can reproduce most genres accurately is a bonus.

Any replies would be appreciated.

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 8
Well, I guess I value my ears, On the Sony, when I listen at home, the volume is only at three...and I think it can go up to 40.

Isolation is not a deciding factor. Usually, I listen to my speakers at home, so I'd only use headphones on the go. I think the MDR-EX082 sound pretty good, but I'm looking for an inexpensive, non IEM, headphone upgrade that is under $75.

I don't think I really have an extremely discerning ear yet, so that's why I'm limiting myself to something below $75.

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #5 of 8
Px100 will suit your need. Small, lightweight, comfortable and portable. Nice sq to boot. If you can handle clip-on, try ksc75 which can be purchased for very cheap price.

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for all the help!

~swilly

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 8
toughnut, is your KSC kramer modded?

I ended up purchasing the AKG k81DJ, but I'd like a low-priced headphone (such as the KSC75), that can be worn with a helmet when I bike. Have you biked with the KSC75, and if you have, what are your thoughts on biking with them?

Thanks

~swilly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back