Sony Mdr-Ed21LP mod
Oct 23, 2009 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

deadpool86

Head-Fier
It's a basic mod, nothing really fancy. I did this because I was really unhappy with the overall sound quality and comfort. Not one person I let use my set said they were comfortable, in fact quite the opposite. Easily the most uncomfy set of buds I've ever used. However, for 15$ they are near identical to the stock Cowon buds in every way with Bass being the only exception. These sonys have a little bit of bass ( 8-23,000hz) , but it's certainly an improving over the stock cowon s9. ( which by the way are excellent buds )

I picked this set up for $15 in Kmart a few days ago and decided enough is enough. Something must be done. I peeled off the cheap plastic covering and noticed something odd. Half of the bud itself was covered by another thin piece of plastic. Why? I have no clue why. The design of the plastic covering is a semi in ear, it's got a little point that sticks in your ear canal and makes it very uncomfortable. Obviously intended to improve quality, but why cover half of the bud itself muffling the sound, and letting only the other half flow through that point into your ear? If that design was necessary, why wasnt it put on the center of the plastic piece, instead of set to one side?

Anyway, I stripped it all off and slapped some basic earpad coverings on them. I must say, I am very happy with them right now. The bass and the overall quality was not muted due to the lack of the inner ear piece. In fact, I think the soft padding I put in increased the sound quality dramatically. They went from not worth 15$ to very worth it.

PA230013.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back