Sony MDR-ED12LP - Awesome earbud/in-ear hybrid
Mar 30, 2013 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

JVineaux

New Head-Fier
I've loved these for a long time, but I thought I'd finally stick my neck out and make a post about these. Yes they're earbuds, and yes they're budget - they're not going to replace your shures, etys, or ciems, but to my ears these are great enough to duke it out with things like the monoprice 8320, philips she3580, soundmagic e10, pl20, rha ma150, jvc fx101, fx40 (which are all the iems I own at the moment, for reference) and more importantly, are in my opinion proof that earbuds don't have to suck.

In terms of sound, I find these are focused on the upper-mids, with the top end rolled off a touch, and with perhaps a slightly recessed, but still articulate bass - though bass response from these I think varies wildly depending on the fit, which I'll come to later. I would guess too that bass response could be increased greatly by taping holes, as these are vented quite a bit.

Where I think these excel is in their separation, clarity, and a genuinely pleasing sound pitched perfectly between dynamics, and just enough veil to remain non-fatiguing. Think Monoprice 8320 levels of clarity, only without isolation. In fact, what gives me the confidence to post such heresy as praising earbuds is the positive response the 8320 got! These have a very similar sound signature, with perhaps a slight emphasis on higher mids and a less 'boomy' bass in the ed12 (due to lack of seal). Though I wouldn't describe the 8320 as particularly boomy to begin with. They have an ok soundstage I think, though the separation helps with that, and a low decay, detailed approach.

The one disclaimer I would add is that these are shaped strangely, they're sort of semi-in ear and so the fit might be tricky for some. I have big ears, so these sit well, but others might find they fall out easily, or just don't sound as good as they can. If you can get the fit though, they don't disappoint. I use these for things like skype, gaming on the laptop, or times when I don't want isolation, but I often end up happily listening to music with these too as they never feel like a step down in quality from my iems, just a different signature.

Here are some specs:

Diaphragm​
PET

Frequency (Hz)​
8 - 22,000

Sensitivity (dB/mW)​

Magnet​
Neodymium

Impedance (Ohm)​

If anyone out there is looking for non-isolating, non-fatiguing, or just great sounding earbuds, I really recommend these, they're up there with the e888 and mx580 for me. I would love to hear if other people who have them love them as much as I do.

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 2
Had those awesome buds back in 2007. These or similar but they looked exactly like these, non isolating buds with great bass.
Unfortunately, looks like Sony no longer produce anything like that, only these isolating rubber IEMs all over.

Glad I find one new at eBay for 60$.

Would love to have something similar designed with bluetooth. Phillips Freshtones Wireless is the only one decent bluetooth non-IEMs I found to date, but its bass not that great as Sony's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back