Sony MDR-E888LP what a surprise!
Jan 21, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by oluv
...BUT unfortunately i've never had luck with earbuds, particularly because i never could get a good fit. most of the ones i tried i had to press them deep inside my ears to get the sound i desired, but shortly after they got loose and the sound changed quite drastically. the most horrible effect is if one of the buds has another fit than the other, so that the sound wanders from one side to the other...

That's EXACTLY how it is for me aswell with earbuds.

Jan 21, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by seiko_citizen
remember that the E888 isnt a very long lasting earphone, it has the tendacy to break down in a short period of time. usually after warranty expires
biggrin.gif

All newer Sony products (10 years) are like that (in my experience). Example: Our 48" Sony Front Projection TV smoked up (burnt ohm resistors I think; that's what the repair guys said) and made the whole house (basement, 1st, 2nd) smell horrible. Sony =
frown.gif

Jan 21, 2005 at 12:29 PM Post #18 of 29
Sony seems not the only brand to have suffer quality issues over the years. I bought a Panasonic TV a few yrs back (maybe 1997 or there abouts) and now I can barely watch TV. There are lines coming on off the screen and distorting the subtitles esp. when you are trying to read karaoke. Also the TV seems to have shrink the images as it sees-fit
blink.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai
i always think the e888 is quite underrated due to its usual old high price and compared to mx500 in terms of value.

I don't know what the E888 used to sell for, but I just received the MDR-E888LP which I bought off of ebay for $48US (shipping included, brand new retail packaging). Wow! I'm impressed. The most expensive earbuds to date that I've used has been the MX500. I believe I bought them directly from Sennheiser for about $15.

The E888 kicks butt over the MX500 (as well it should considering the price differential). These are awesome earbuds. Are there better earbuds out there in the same price range? Can't wait til I try them with my cmoy.

Feb 6, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #20 of 29
Hey...nice to know that you enjoy the E888. My first one was back 10 years...and many years have passed, and I still keep them (I have like 3: LP, MP, and SP). I haven't tried them with my iRiver, but during my MD day...this was my buds of choice. Very details for earbuds and defnitely better than my Koss KSC-35 (?).

I've now replaced my E888 with it older cousin Sony MDR-E484 and Shure E5C.

Feb 6, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by seiko_citizen
recently I can only use the E888 for like 304hrs at a time, after that my ears start to hurt

I'd say being able to wear them for almost 13 days is pretty damn good.
tongue.gif

I had a pair of E888s as well, which, before I got the A-T ATH-CM7s, were the most expensive earbuds I had owned. Sounded pretty good, but my broke on me... would probably have gotten another set, but comfort made me go for the EX71s instead (and that broke on me too... so I've been done with Sony earbuds for a while).

~KS

Feb 6, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #22 of 29
What is it with Sony buds failing so often? Knock on wood, both my EX71's and 888's still work fine although the EX71's sound burnt out.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #23 of 29
Just got some sharp MD-33s (ostensibly for cycling) and was also surprised by how much better I liked these right out of the box. After they burn in I'll post some thoughts on these versus the Sony EX71 and Sony 888s. First impression is high comfort acceptable sound but less detail than the 888s.

But to be fair I'll keep these thoughts as "off the record" till the MD-33s get some burn in. Only about four hours at the moment and I can detect no noticable difference but... you never know.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Feb 6, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbaldguy
What is it with Sony buds failing so often? Knock on wood, both my EX71's and 888's still work fine although the EX71's sound burnt out.
rolleyes.gif

the 888's driver are fragile as can be. just don't try to play them at very high volume or you risk damaging them. be careful not to strain the part where the wire splits into 2 or you risk getting a mono phone!

Apr 25, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #26 of 29
I'm interested in getting a pair of 888s as I heard so many good things about them from this board. However I did read a review somewhere in which the reviewer complained that they were very quiet, is this the case?

Apr 26, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #27 of 29
I just got a pair of E888s from bluetin.com

Things I've noticed;

-The foam covers help bass production. Dont ask me why!
-Midrange is nice, a little forward at first. The treble IMO sounds a lil rolled off, but its definitely not muffled. I think i'll get used to it very quickly!
-Bass is not too bad, but I was hoping for more.
-Comfortable fit.
-They are a lil quiet, but still plenty of volume.

Worth the price, but im not sure if its worth the price hike over the MX400. I'll have to run these in for a few hours and give my final subjective judgement!

May 2, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #29 of 29
I would like to thank the person who started this threaed.

I purchased my original pair 2 years ago and they werent very good. Bass was poor as was treble and the sound overall was muffled. I sold them and just last week because of this thread purchased a brand new pair again.

As soon as the new pair arrived I put on some RS fommies and was suprised to hear a sound completely different then my original pair. Bass is extended and detailed and the treble was not rolled off. These are still midrangy but now its a postive and not a negative. They also play louder and I achieve acceptable volume in a quiet room at 3/40 off my iriver flash player.

As others have said its a crap shoot as to what kind of sound u will get off the E888.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back