SONY MDR-E888LP *GOLD* VERSUS MX500 REVIEW!!
Aug 4, 2003 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

xlifez

500+ Head-Fier
I'm gonna make a review on these babys verse MX500

SOURCE:
Iriver IFP-395 *With using equalizer*

E888LP GOLD:::
The quality of these baby feels very well made and light weight.
looks like it was put alot of work into it. and the case that came with it feels like it was REALLY WELL MADE.
Now i've tried these with out the pads on em, but they sound as though they have "NO BASS" but with the pads, theres a decent bass within them. the earbud them self are rather small and thin in left to right wise, so its great for people who has hard time wearing on the MX500. but if you compare these to the MX500, they sound rather "soft" and it sounds pretty stuffy..

MX500:::::::::
Now i had these babies for about 3 months?
the quality feel of them feels pretty cheap, and feels like theres only plastic but nothing inside *hallow* but don't let the feel fool you! they sound really good.
and they sound great with out the pads, theres even double the bass compared to the E888. if i used the pads, they have double the bass compared having with out the pads. personally, when i got the Mx500, i didn't think they were as good as what everyone said, since the price is SOO LOW. i use to believe cheap earbuds/headphones and what not sucks, but using the Mx500 truely changed my mind.

VOTE::
GO WITH THE MX500! easily said! the E888LP sounds really stuffy and has pretty low bass, yet the MX500 sounds crystal clear and good bass!. don't waste your good 70 bucks or what not on E888LP GOLD. go with the Mx500!

well thats just my 2cent! I'll take pictures tomorrow night! of these babys, and if you have any questions, just leave a reply or PM me! PM me what camera angel and what kind of pictures you want me to take!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2003 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 12
Nice review. Basically sums up my observations.

Aug 4, 2003 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 12
Sums up my impressions of them as well. I did however find that they seemed very source dependent. Out of my basic Sony receiver, they sounded really good, same goes for the iMic out on my powerbook. But unfortunately I got them for use with my pcdp (a Sony D-EJ955) and as xlifez said to me in a PM.. the MX500 owns the 888's in that arena...

appar111

Aug 4, 2003 at 3:40 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

well said. I had the gold e888's and they couldn't handle the bass on my sharp mt877 md player, anyone with a sharp will know of how much bass the sharps can give out, but still they didn't sound very deep

I'm just wondering that did you use the X-bass features on the MT877 or something??? I never had any problem with my E888 w/ any of my Sharp MDs. I know that sharp MDs have tons of bass, but...do you really need all those bass? I still vote for E888 rather than the MX500 and "yes" I did own MX500. Again, E888 is source dependent. You also can find many E888 on sale at 40 to 50 dollars.

Aug 5, 2003 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
I'm just wondering that did you use the X-bass features on the MT877 or something??? I never had any problem with my E888 w/ any of my Sharp MDs. I know that sharp MDs have tons of bass, but...do you really need all those bass? I still vote for E888 rather than the MX500 and "yes" I did own MX500. Again, E888 is source dependent.

My thoughts too. Given the right source, the E888's can sound good for portability's sake. But I've also observed that with MD units lacking treble control, the more you step up the bass, the more piercing the treble gets (just like the case of the D-E905 pcdp bass boost).

Quote:

Originally posted by Nights_85 they couldn't handle the bass on my sharp mt877 md player, anyone with a sharp will know of how much bass the sharps can give out, but still they didn't sound very deep.... still I was dissappointd with the e888s

Please bear in mind that earbuds can never deliver the bass that full sized cans provide. One of the good things about the E888's is that they're EQ sensitive. Plus, if you can pair this with a portable amp, you'll see how better power can refine this pair.

Something to think about: some Aiwa MD unit owners compaining that with the third step on the Bass Boost, it could sound a bit bloated covering the treble and mid regions. Bass shy?

Aug 6, 2003 at 12:22 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

My thoughts too. Given the right source, the E888's can sound good for portability's sake. But I've also observed that with MD units lacking treble control, the more you step up the bass, the more piercing the treble gets (just like the case of the D-E905 pcdp bass boost).

a lot of times i've found that the manufacturers use curves, rather than simple band adjustment...
sony megabass is like that for sure. in addition to boosting the bass, it likewise boosts mid-hi's...sorta going for a "scooped" sound. i know the ipod bass boost and loudness presets mangle the highs as well.

kell

Aug 11, 2003 at 5:55 AM Post #9 of 12
I very much agree with your review.

I just tried the sharpheisers (rebadged sennheisers mx400 or mx500) that came with my sharp minidisc mt770 recorder. wow, these sound great! I never liked the E888 sound or the fit but I like the sound of these sennheisers very much. Also the ksc35 sounds very muddy and bass heavy to me when played through my sharp recorders. To me, the sennheiser mx earbuds beat the E888 in both fit and sound quality. They don't provide quite the impact of the ksc-35 but have more clarity.

I am ordering an extra pair of mx500s.
biggrin.gif
Also kudos to Sharp for providing a pair of decent quality earbuds with their units. These are great when I don't feel like I need the complete isolation or microphonics of my ER4P.

Aug 11, 2003 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 12
I received my MX500 recently. So far, I'm not impressed. Compared to my gold E888, the MX500 seem to be slightly muddier and detail is not as good since there were certain sounds that couldn't be heard easily on the MX500 that were clear on the E888. Right now, I'm just wondering if the clarity and detail gets better on the MX500 after burn in. There's such a big difference right now that it doesn't seem like burn in will do anything.

Aug 11, 2003 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 12
I was not impressed with my MX500 either when I got them. The main problem I had was getting a proper fit with them. I found the E888 much easier and more comfortable to wear.

Aug 11, 2003 at 3:42 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by downingp
I was not impressed with my MX500 either when I got them. The main problem I had was getting a proper fit with them. I found the E888 much easier and more comfortable to wear.

I think this may be the answer. I did not like the fit of the E888 at all but the mx500 fits perfectly for me. I also felt the E888 had this ringing quality to them (I also noticed this in the Q55s) that left my ears very fatigued after listening. I didn't feel the E888 was lacking bass at all, just clarity. So I guess it all depends on fit and synergy with your source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back