Sony MDR-E808 recabled with Apple earpod cables
Apr 30, 2015 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

moophus

100+ Head-Fier
Thought I might share.

I love the ease of insertion of earbuds and their semi environment-aware noise blocking, especially in the office.  When the apple earpods came out was eager to like them but I found myself reaching more often for my old-old e808s that came with sony portable minidisc players back when some of you weren't even born.

These oldies are so cheap on ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-MDR-E808-Headphone-Earphone-Free-pouch-/261748049173 - £2.99 shipped!
The bass extends significantly more than the earpods as well as slightly brighter treble. The only thing I hate about it is the J wiring (vs Y wiring)

Well, today during my lunch break I decided to swap out the cables with earpod cables.
A few months ago I fished out a set of apple earpods out of the bin at work. Someone had smashed one side of the earpod, likely by stepping on them. The cable is perfectly good. In fact, apple headphones are second to none as far as the mic and remote for the iphone (duh, they designed it!)

It was a simple and straightforward job. Popping off the cover, solder off driver, fish cable out, thread new cable in, solder and recap. repeat for other side. finished in 5 minutes.

Jan 4, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 3
not sure about the blacking out... as that could easily make it look terribly crappy if not done right...as well as possibly rubbing off.
SQ doesn't seem changed at all to my aged ears
tongue_smile.gif

good luck though! post back on how it goes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back