Sony MDR-DS3000
Oct 30, 2003 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sfxjames

100+ Head-Fier
A review has just been posted on audiocubes.com about the Sony MDR-DS3000, see what you guys can make of it.

These things kick ass! The output on them is phenominal. It sounds like you've got a surround sound theatre system straped to you head, pumping 1000 decible bass lines into your skull!
They definately get a 9\10!
(9 only because they were HELLA expansive...)

Is it hype or could this be a ploy just to get people to buy. Maybe Sony copied dolby's ideas.

Oct 30, 2003 at 7:22 AM Post #2 of 4
Nah, it doesn't sound like hype at all.

I blast 1000 decible bass lines into my skull all the time.

Oct 30, 2003 at 7:25 AM Post #3 of 4
It's probably a real review. However, he mainly seems to be saying that it is loud.

I haven't heard so many good things about Sony's algorithm for making a virtual 5.1 sound field. Also, it appears there is no support for Dolby Prologic 2, which is, in my opinion desirable both for stereo movies and stereo music.

However, the unit is half the price of the Pioneer DIR1000C and does feature a nice "auto-off" feature.

It would be nice if someone would try this out and give it a serious review. I'm also very curious if there is anything to the DS8000's "gyrotrack" feature.

Oct 31, 2003 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 4
OK, let's look at what this reviewer wrote: Quote:

It sounds like you've got a surround sound theatre system straped to you head, pumping 1000 decible bass lines into your skull!

Now let's go to Wired, where an anonymous author wrote: Quote:

Sony's MDR-DS5000 10-ounce wireless headphones take listening to the next level by playing 5.1 channels of Dolby Digital Surround. It's like wearing a home theater system on your head, but without the whiplash.

(NB: Elsewhere in the same issue, Gregor Bobowick warns that Dolby Headphone "should not be confused with the impressive but less versatile Sony Dolby Digital Surround.")

Now it is true, the wording is slightly different, but it looks to me as if the reviewer at audiocubes wanted to be the first to review a product so he could claim a free CD-R. It is not out of the question that he borrowed some phrase ideas from something he read on the web. Obviously, with six misspellings (and an archaic or British spelling of "theater"), the author of the audiocubes review is not a professional reviewer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back