Sony MDR-D66 (Eggo) problem/upgrade
May 15, 2006 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Magnakai

New Head-Fier
Hiya

I've been using a pair of MDR-D66s for about 18 months. They're my first quality pair of headphones, and I've really enjoyed them. They're comfortable, are very portable and most importantly they sound pretty good.

For about the last 6 months I'd been noticing an occasional rattle in the right earpiece when I was walking around. It would come and go with seemingly no rationale. I meant to look at it for ages, but I never got around to it.

Now suddenly the right can has completely stopped working. No matter how much I fiddle with the wires, no sound comes out of it at all.

So leading on from this - would you suggest poking around inside it? Bear in mind that I have little electronics knowledge.

The other option is a new set of headphones. I can't stand my rubbish bundled in-ear ones any more, so I'll have do something.
Is there anything someone could recommend that's in the region of £50? It would preferably be easily portable, and closed back for general outside use, but I'd be willing to sacrifice that if they're really that good.

I guess I mainly listen to hip hop and rock, but there's a substantial amount of jazz, noise and a growing bundle of classical stuff too.

Many thanks!

May 15, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #2 of 6
I got 2 eggos which got the same problem as you described. I tried to fix one of them, big mistake, I can't get them back together
eek.gif
tongue.gif
Fortunately [AK]Zip willing to rewire them for me.

May 15, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 6
Magnakai, get a good diy headfier around your area to help you get your eggo rewired. It's cheaper than having to buy another eggo. The reason I bought another eggo was because I can't put back together the one that I opened. But after another 1 year of used, The 2nd eggo also failed. IMHO there's a defect on the inside wire connection. Btw instead of having to buy another eggo, I put a thread on diy forum asking for a headfier to help me rewire them. [AK]Zip offered and I got 2 working eggos now
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks guys!

I'd already sorta decided on the AKGs from reading other posts on here, but I just wanted a second (third) opinion.

I'll go ask on the DIY forum, and see if anyone can help me out. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back