Sony MDR-CD900ST, why don't these get more love?
May 11, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #107 of 346
Any opinions on CD900ST tonality next to MDR-V6? 

Are they clean and cool? I read some comments saying they were dark however all reviews lean an opposite direction.

Would a fan of MDR-V6 be intrigued by the sound of CD900ST?

May 11, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #108 of 346

Are they clean and cool? I read some comments saying they were dark however all reviews lean an opposite direction.

The first thing I noticed is that CD900ST is it's even brighter. It seems to me a little grainier but more resolving. It sometimes has a magical three-dimensional quality completely lacking in the V6--the notes sound very solid and have texture. So, it would be intriguing, but expect it to be brighter.

May 11, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #109 of 346
The first thing I noticed is that CD900ST is it's even brighter. It seems to me a little grainier but more resolving. It sometimes has a magical three-dimensional quality completely lacking in the V6--the notes sound very solid and have texture. So, it would be intriguing, but expect it to be brighter.

Thanks for the reply Claritas,

I can handle brighter that's no problem, I can understand what you're saying about the notes sounding solid, as V6 does have a certain thinness to its mid-range, some female vocals can sound hollow to me at times (especially around the lower mids). What about the bass quantity and extension of CD900ST I read some people saying it was lacking.

Do you have any memories or thoughts if the bass was about on par with V6? I guess what I'm looking for is pretty much a V6 but with  slightly thicker weight to some degree in the mids, however I'm also welcome to any positive changes. 

May 11, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #110 of 346
Do you have any memories or thoughts if the bass was about on par with V6? I guess what I'm looking for is pretty much a V6 but with slightly thicker weight to some degree in the mids, however I'm also welcome to any positive changes. 

I don't have strong memories of its bass, which means it certainly isn't heavy. Its bass is more detailed and, again, the texture is better. But extension and slam don't stand out when listening because the brightness overpowers them (like some Grados, but not to that extent). The whole soundworld is busier in a good way with details which results in a involving layering effect. The layering makes everything sound more dynamic. So both in general and compared to V6, what makes it stand out to me in order of prominence are:

- brightness
- layering
- micro-details
- texture

May 11, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #111 of 346
i have had this headphone for a while now and i must say that its representation of minute details within the track are unparalleled with anything under i would say maybe $300 at least.

May 11, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #112 of 346
I don't have strong memories of its bass, which means it certainly isn't heavy. Its bass is more detailed and, again, the texture is better. But extension and slam don't stand out when listening because the brightness overpowers them (like some Grados, but not to that extent). The whole soundworld is busier in a good way with details which results in a involving layering effect. The layering makes everything sound more dynamic. So both in general and compared to V6, what makes it stand out to me in order of prominence are:

- brightness
- layering
- micro-details
- texture

Thanks Claritas,

In a couple of days I'm going to go ahead with CD900ST.

May 19, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #113 of 346
Thanks Claritas,

In a couple of days I'm going to go ahead with CD900ST.

All the best, you'll enjoy them.  I got a CD900ST in Japan last year and I never looked back since.  I had an opportunity to have a go at the 7506 earlier and recalled I do not like them, something about a brittle sounding treble and thin bass.  The CD900STs sounded much fuller bodied and detailed, which is perhaps why the comments on it being dark.  Its not, its just so much more capable :)

May 20, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #114 of 346
All the best, you'll enjoy them.  I got a CD900ST in Japan last year and I never looked back since.  I had an opportunity to have a go at the 7506 earlier and recalled I do not like them, something about a brittle sounding treble and thin bass.  The CD900STs sounded much fuller bodied and detailed, which is perhaps why the comments on it being dark.  Its not, its just so much more capable :)

As it stands I found someone in Australia with a pair, they were kind enough to let me take them for a week. Should be here in the next 15 hours or so. Still keen on buying them. I'll post an update soon with some thoughts.

Appreciate the information!

Jul 1, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #116 of 346

MDR-V6 is no comparison.  V6 sounds nasally in comparison to CD900st.  I'm using CD900st with Apogee Duet2 with lovely results.  Bought a second pair and extra ear pads as spare.  The ear pads on CD900st are NOT the same as v6 or ones being sold on eBay.  I does effect the sound if you don't use genuine Sony pads (part# 211569501)

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #119 of 346
anyone know a open headphone with cd900st sound ?
tongue.gif

CD900st tends to sound more congested at higher volumes, so it might not necessarily be a good thing to have an open headphone sound like the CD900st.

In going the other way and trying to make the CD900st sound like an open headphone, you could always try different amps?

I've personally found that CD900st unamped gives more weight to vocals, string instruments and bass guitar.

Amping it with O2 on low gain (somewhere between the 7 and 8 o'clock positions), I've found that everything gets shifted lower (?) in terms of emphasis: more weight on accompanying guitars and on snare & bass drums while sacrificing some on the vocals. Listening at this volume, I prefer the sound of orchestral works and faster tempo songs over unamped CD900st. 

The O2 is supposed to be transparent, but that's what is happening for me.

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #120 of 346
A friend of mine has a CD999, which is a semi-open CD900ST. It even has the same pads as far as I can tell, but also worned out. It sounds very similar like a CD900ST, but with treble extension.

Bought a second pair and extra ear pads as spare.  The ear pads on CD900st are NOT the same as v6 or ones being sold on eBay.  I does effect the sound if you don't use genuine Sony pads (part# 211569501)

Where did you buy those genuine pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back