Sony MDR-CD900ST, why don't these get more love?
Nov 18, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #91 of 346
If they're good enough, I would even go as far as re-terminating it myself.
Seeing as there are spare parts for this headphone, it doesn't look like it'll go away anytime soon.
I'll definitely pick up a pair when I visit, curious as to how it really sounds, this headphone is scarce around here.

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #92 of 346
  How's the bass response?

It tends towards being loose rather than being tight and punchy (for me). I like to call it 'atmospheric', something you can feel as well as hear.

Hello can someone pleeez tell me any thoughts on these conpared to the mdr-7520 ..
I am a mids guy as I have all woodie cans but miss my sony v6 & 1r form factor but they just didn't cut it in sound...

While I cannot compare these with the headphones you've listed, I can safely say that if you are a mids guy, then these are definitely worth a look. However, you may find these very sterile-sounding and cold, depending on the type of music you listen to. Acoustic guitar, female- vocal ballads, piano solos are all things that I enjoy with this pair. There appears to be a more congested sound on songs with fast tempo and lots of bass.

I'm pretty new to the forums and i was thinking to get the cd900st when i go back to Japan. i was wondering what would be the recommended way to input the headphones as they come with a 6.3mm jack. Would you recommend using a 6.3 to 3.5mm converter?

Yeah, I use a converter cable. Make sure you get one that is actually a cable (eg Hosa, Neunaber), not just a metal adapter that puts strain on the jack and can lead to scratches.

Also, I've never understood why everyone thinks the MDR-CD900ST is a very expensive pair. It retails for about $150-180, plus say $20 shipping. There's no warranty anyway, so you might as well get it off amazon.co.jp, Rakuten or just ship using Tenso.

The best site I've found for getting the absolute lowest prices on Japanese headphones is kakaku.com.

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #93 of 346
I have a local retailer that sells some converter cables from Grado and Sennheiser, so i guess i will go with those thanks for the reply. Also, would you recommend getting an amp for it?

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #94 of 346
  I have a local retailer that sells some converter cables from Grado and Sennheiser, so i guess i will go with those thanks for the reply. Also, would you recommend getting an amp for it?

Yep, I've heard the Grado cable is good too. About the amp, I don't use one right now. However, the advice I have been given by others is:
  Well i pair it with an Objective2 and i think it's a great pairing. To me ears, the slight bloom in the mids and the calm treble need a clean and direct sounding amping. I definetly woudn't want a OTL tube amp in this case, It'll just make 'em sound too soft and will mess with the bass response. I'd try a Schiit Asgard or a Matrix M-stage, FWIR they noth seem to be slightly warm but still quite linear and dynamic.

Nov 27, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #97 of 346
The nano should drive them loud enough, tho it will probable sound quite compressed and soft in it's dynamic range. These phones are designed for monitoring work remember. That's also part of the reason they make a relatively poor portable cans, the isolation is just sub-par for this type of use.

Nov 30, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #99 of 346
  will a Fiio E07K pair reasonably well?

I heard the E07k on my CD900STs for a while.  Pairs reasonably nicely in terms of power.  But not quite as detailed as I'd like as the dynamics seems a little muddled up compared to my desktop setup.  My usual setup is the CD900ST to Dragonfly via Cardas HPI-A adapter. :)  Of course, this is just my own experience, your mileage may vary.

Nov 30, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #100 of 346
Speaking of sources, I have a D10 (which I believe is a small step below the D12). I will presume that the power output is more than enough, but will the sound pair well with the CD900ST?

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #103 of 346
the sound in the left side of my cd900sts are significantly softer now. the driver still responds to an increase in volume and i was wondering if a replaced driver will fix the problem

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #105 of 346
NECRO TIME

Dang, one of my CD900STs pads are abit torn due to wear and tear in the inner stitch area, and it is impossible to re-stitch it back. I think Soundhouse is the only place that I can get pads for it.

Luckily the sound hasn't changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back